To have employees ... or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I don't really see a problem. Back in your post you said "we all want" well if there is a problem, that is probably the biggest part of it. We all want. Big screen TV's, I pods, computers new cars, nice houses boats, snow mobiles 4 wheelers. And we're more than willing to buy these things and put ourselves in credit jeopardy simply because " We Want" Our fathers wanted too. But the waited and saved and made sound financial decisions so that they and their children could "have" No one has that kind of patience any more. We want it and we want it now. And worse yet, there are those that willingly put their 4 wheeler or 40 thousand dollar pick-up truck above health and dentil care for their families. It's amazing how many section 8 housing families somehow can't manage to pay the bills but they all have big screen plasma tv's, a new computer, x box, all the toys and a fridge full of beer. I used to see it daily because my company had the city contract to work the projects. There are many many fathers and mothers who's Friday night priority is to score a bag of weed and let the welfare buy the cheese and similac for the kid. It's all about personal responsibility and the liberal congresse's desire to take care of everyone.

This is more correct than many of you know, I think. I've seen countless tenants with TVs larger than mine, cars newer, more expensive, and less efficient than mine, clothes nicer than mine, and more food in the fridge, etc. And who's the one getting evicted? And we're not talking about top-notch housing, here.

I've been through enough rentals that I considered buying. I've spent many hours working for my brother on his rentals. And he's in the same boat as I am. On the outside, his tenants in general certainly look better off than him. But who's whining about not having $?

What gets me is the section 8 tenant that pays $40/mo rent out of her pocket. Works only a couple evenings a week at a bar. Then wonders why she can't come up with that $40. She is more than capable of working more.

Section 8 is fine for those who need it. It does help at times. There is another tenant I know of that is legitimately disabled. Section 8 and disability, and taking care of a couple kids a couple days a week allows her to live a decent life. She is able to afford a car, computer, cable, and rents a single family home with her daughter. I don't think she could work a normal job. But she is able to get by w/o too much trouble. But she makes good decisions.

I only wish there were a better way to weed out the ones who absolutely are abusing the system.

On health care:
Cookie, I think Clark Howard has the answer: Adopt a health care system that includes the customer again. Get employers out of the equation. And let the free market work. Require insurers to offer 7-10 standard plans that would be the same for every insurer. No exclusions, etc. They can offer whatever products they want as well. But offer a set of standard plans that the individual buys. Then they are able to REALLY comparison shop and let the free market work. If I look at Aetna and United, and they both sell national plans A,B,C,D,E, etc, I know that if I go w/ the less expensive one, I still get the same coverage. THAT would create competition in medicine for the insurers.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let the free market work and the goverment will bail you out when it fail's. The free market work's for something's but not all.

Nate R

Reaction score
Let the free market work and the goverment will bail you out when it fail's. The free market work's for something's but not all.

Umm, what? So health insurance can't be free market? It works for auto insurance, doesn't it? Dentistry isn't too far off.

It works for Lasik surgery. Insurance usually doesn't cover it. So it's a free market between the surgery provider and the customer. And look how low prices have gotten on it!

Cookie

Reaction score
Employers should feel and be responsible for their employees. This is part of the problem today with health care. To be blunt, companies are getting cheaper and cheaper with their dealings with the people who make the money for them. Employees are much more than a working dollar sign for them and should be treated as such. Scratch each other's back?

If a company or business cannot afford to take care of their employee/s properly and ethically, then they should reconsider having employees in the first place.

Greed is coming from all levels and it will take down and destroy the very thing you try to create.

It is unfortunate for those who seem to always be looking into someone else's fridge, or looking and comparing cars, clothes, houses, tv sizes, or anything else. :D I think this must be a man thing. I am really glad women don't do that, or judge each other so much. You got to remember, you don't know how they go the Big big bigger tv than you got, you can only make assumptions; and sometimes, they can and are really wrong.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Of course the root of the problem is the widespred misuse of the entire healthcare industry and the insurance companies having to jack prices up then passing it on to the consumer. There is an astounding amount of waste, inefficiency and just plain corruption in the health care industry. Not to mention the huge load that illegal aliens put on the system.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Cookie....wallk in my shoes for a while

Employers should feel and be responsible for their employees. This is part of the problem today with health care. To be blunt, companies are getting cheaper and cheaper with their dealings with the people who make the money for them. Employees are much more than a working dollar sign for them and should be treated as such. Scratch each other's back?

If a company or business cannot afford to take care of their employee/s properly and ethically, then they should reconsider having employees in the first place.

Greed is coming from all levels and it will take down and destroy the very thing you try to create.

Cookie, you need to walk in others shoes for a while...

our whole economy has been going up and up for 40 years just like the houseing bubble did....

everyone wants the life style of the rich and famous..
without having to do anything for it.. when they cant have it given to them., they moan and groan

I had health insurance for 6 of my empoloyees at one time
and it cost me quite a bit to keep these losers insured.
lets say 800 per month ..

they did not consider this part of their pay, it was more like an
obligation I had to them for them to show up in the morning...
I was extremely pissed off about this.....

A company I worked for had an employee that SUED the,
because when they filled out their policy they opted NOT for the pregnancy rider....

two years later the fellow gets his wife pregnant then
expects his employer to pay all his bills...
you can guess the rest...

I dont know if it is GREED you are talking about here....

I think it is something more like........ ENTITLEMENT...

to the American Dream ..

I am voteing for OBAMA....... entitlement for everyone..

Obama will give those employees I fired a fair shake.
abd a big hug too.....and a raise and free health insurance,
and a larger welfare check, and free groceries, and cigaretts...
and a car to drive....

maybe some free condoms too.....

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
3_4_8v.gif
sorry to burst your bubble, but I already have... many times. ( me in business shoes, :) )

YIKES, Mark! Did you walk in my shoes? My party shoes?
98055-xxs.jpg
I guess you can borrow them but do you think you will look good in them? Terry didn't have the legs, LOL. But I got to warn you, you will get the men. lol.

Do you have the solution?

Last edited:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie, you need to walk in others shoes for a while...

I had health insurance for 6 of my empoloyees at one time
and it cost me quite a bit to keep these losers insured.
lets say 800 per month ..

they did not consider this part of their pay, it was more like an
obligation I had to them for them to show up in the morning...
I was extremely pissed off about this.....

I am voteing for OBAMA....... entitlement for everyone..

Obama will give those employees I fired a fair shake.

maybe some free condoms too.....[/QUOTE]

MP Mark, It is you my friend who need's to walk in other people's shoe's. Because your a failed bussiness owner doesn't mean your any more special and have a special privlage to talk sh**. Try walking in Cookie's shoe's. Have your spouse pass away and then get cancer. I would say her life has been more trying then your's.

It's also nice to hear you talk about past employee's you had. You were a HACK!!employer. I can see why your bussiness did not last. I even question what type of plumber you actually are.

Health insurance should be a perk provided by the empoyer. No one should have to work soley to pay for healthcare. You can't compare health insurance to any other because you need it to survive.

It is also about time someone give's worker's a fair handshake.

If they passed out free condom's maybe Bristol Palin would not have been knocked up!!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I need my car to get to work. My state requires auto insurance. Should my employer pay that also? I need a roof under me. The bank requires my house to be insured. should my employer pay that also. Employers don't owe the employees anything other than a negotiated wage. Why not break away from the nipple and start your own business? Then come back in a couple years and tell me how you feel about "Perks"

Cookie

Reaction score
Boy o boy you guys are brutal to each other, like Mort said. I agree with Mort.

Yes, my life has been trying at times 101.

I think regarding the election, we just need more selections, lol.

At first I didn't think I would go for Palin but, after hearing her speech and demeanor, I don't know, I kind of think she would be good for this country. It surprises me to say that.

A friend of mine, just probably fell off his chair reading that, lol. Yes, yes, I think she has the capabilities. Just not in warfare. You got to admit we need that.

Now Obama yikes, he has no experience. I am not so sure, I want a greenhorn in office. I don't think so. I like someone alittle older and wiser and with experience. Experience counts for alot, they already made their mistakes and hopefully, learned from them.

So, that leaves McCain. He is older, has experience and being around the block is sometimes a plus in life.

Just like people come to me when they want answers about the big C. I have been there, actually, now 5 times over, and I know the protocol. I am experienced at it, and then, some, :D

I also, like Palin's sense of humor. She actually has one. Boy, o boy, laughter and being able to laugh at yer self, and of course others, :D means a lot; especially, how things are today.

When I was first diagnosed with the big C at age 44, I was in the recovery room crying and crying. The surgeon came in, took my wrist and felt my pulse and asked me, " do you have kids?" I said, " yeah." "How many?" "Two." " Boys or girls?" " Boys." Well, he went on to say, " your kids are going to tolerate you for 15 minutes." And, he left.

So, in 9 years, I cried 15 minutes, and I laughed the rest.

So not to get on my soapbox in stilettoes, but, life is what you make it. That is my point, and instead of being part of the problem, be part of the solution.

Cookie

Reaction score
You did not hurt my feelings in anyway, shape for form. No worries on that mate.

But, I am wondering how believing in Unions, (the backbone of our great nation) makes you give it all away?

I have owned a business, I know the perils in it and the costs involved. I also, know nothing worth having comes easy. We choose to do what we want to do to make a living. If I want to be a brain surgeon I could do so, ( I might not do too well, and those under my knive might scream alittle) if I want to be an airplane pilot I can do that too, ( I recommend those of you reading to take another flight) or I can teach, paint, drive a taxi, or replace a water heater (notice I did not say, HOT). I just got to make sure I am skilled enough whether I am licensed or not.

It comes down to choices. We have choices in life.
We all have bills. Whether we are paying for expensive things that Kings would buy or paying for little things, ( like me) that peasants buy. We still have to pay the fiddler if we want to dance.

There are rules. No matter how much we dislike or even hate it, their are rules to life.
To share. To be nice.

Are our opinions that important that we can name call at our ages?

Last edited:

Mort

Reaction score
( he was staring at my chest, lol, wrong place) Come to think of it, why is it, all men do that?

:D You'll probably never know :D

Mort (who got his best laugh of the day)

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
unions were the backbone

You did not hurt my feelings in anyway, shape for form. No worries on that mate.

But, I am wondering how believing in Unions, (the backbone of our great nation) makes you give it all away?

There are rules. No matter how much we dislike or even hate it, their are rules to life.
To share. To be nice.

Are our opinions that important that we can name call at our ages?

Cookie, what I have stated is that Unioins were the backbone of the country 100 years ago,
now they are almost close to being the problem. with mob corruption ect....

Actuallly their are no rules to life, only the golden rule....

and I would love to share and be nice to everyone,,,

(pass out free condoms on the street and all)

I would love to give away all my assets and
meditate on the side of a mountain....and trust that others wont let me down.....

but becasue their are turely no rules, its only my blind
faith that the people I am willing to share with will treat me nice in return...someday ..
(no rule says that they should)

I think that this term is called ........GULLIBILITY.......???
or having a Polyiania like atitude.?????

COOKIE... Why do you think that their are LAWYERS .???

Why do lawyers exist in the first place ???

They exist because 95 % of the people on the planet
simply WILL NOT KEEP THEIR WORD unless they are
forced to by the lawyers...

95% of people on average will only keep their
word if it is to their advantage to do so.
Lawyers have to drag them kicking and screaming
into court to force them to pay their bills, or keep up their end of an agreement...

thats a cold hard fact......

The golden rule states

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you........

but keep your guard up in case the other fellow has
a mean left hook..

love your family, and hold your freinds dear, but
trust only the people that have earned your trust......

I know a lot of people that have been fleeced by
their preachers into handing over their lifes saveings, ect.

I know a whole bunch of people that cant get their
dead beat husbands to pay for child support too.

I watched a little old lady in a wheelchair one time get evicted from her home of 40 years because she trusted her son and put her home in his name....which he gambled away..

that is how it is...always has been and always will be

sorry about that

on another note

Name calling is fun sometimes...:D:D:D

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
You can call me slick. I am quite savvy. :D What are lawyers for? Hmm. I have used them in the past and now, in the present. Lawyers fight for your rights when they are being abused. I got 2 suits going now.

One is for Tim's Law. It will make life different for doctors who feel that they can squeeze in as many people as they can in an hour by shaving off the essentials, like taking your blood pressure. Infact, the Capitol called me today. It was pretty neat to see Capitol U.S. come up on my call return. Yes siree bob.

Second one is to make the doctor pay for his mistake. He is going to love this one. The world wouldn't need lawyers if people did what they were supposed to do in the first place. But, people decide to make their own rules and when they impact another's life, they have to be held accountable.

So far as the Unions, they need " tweaked." The foundation is still good, just got to tweak it enough to get rid of the rot, kind of like fixing an old house. If the foundation is good, not all is lost.

It never costs anything to be nice, and name calling is a form of verbal abuse. Not usually funny.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
The best post ever.

Wow....some of you guys are pretty brutal. I've only got six employees (not plumbing however) and couldn't run my business nearly as well or profitably without them. I've only hired one new person recently but the rest have worked for me ten or more years. To get licensed (necessary in my field) takes 80 hours classroom time and a state test, but about two years to really get up to speed and be productive (read profitable) When hiring a new employee I usually let them ferment for about three months or so just to see if they really want to do the job and like the enviroment. If they like it, I pay for the schooling, room and board while attending, and the associated costs of getting a license. After that, it's just learning the ropes.

My employees, having to deal with the public, do have to put up with a lot of guff at times. It goes with the territory. I insist they maintain a professional attitude and be courteous to all clients. That said, NOBODY is required to listen to foul language or tolerate hot tempers....those cases come directly to me and if I can't get them to calm down and discuss whatever their issue might be then they can take a long walk of a short pier.

Are employees expensive? You bet!! Ouside of the government mandated taxes, fees, etc., providing decent health insurance is pretty danged costly (and it's something nobody sees on their paycheck so it largely goes under appreciated as compensation) As an employer, I get less time off in the sense of taking continous time off (like the two week vacation time I provide with full pay) and when things aren't going well am also the first in line to get reduced pay if necessary to get through the lean times.

All in all....I wouldn't change a thing:)

Mort

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks