Tank for new jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Waterdown

Reaction score
We just bought a 3 season cottage that is about 50 years old on an island. Water comes from the lake. Currently, there is a very old piston pump that brings water into the cottage. We have purchased a new 1/2 hp shallow jet pump.

Quick question, with the new pump that we are purchasing, other than it being old, is there a reason that we can't use the current galvanized tank that is already there? Or is there something that is not "compatible" between the old tank and connecting it to the new shallow jet pump. According to the info I"ve found, it looks like if I were to purchase a new one, we would need a 20 gal tank. I'm not exactly sure of the size of the galvanized one that's already there.

Other than what I"ve been reading on here, and a ton of google searches, I have very limited plumbing knowledge!

Thanks!

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I’d replace the tank for two reasons. One is it’s galvanized and that’s not good. Two is if it’s that old, you’d be foolish to spend all that time plumbing into it since the bladder may be close to failing. But I’m no expert.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can also save space and solve a few other problems with one of these pressure tank pump control kits instead of just a pressure tank.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/pk1a-pside-kick

PK1A with Jet Pump vertical sized.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks