Suggestion for submersible pump (from lake) for irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Mark Pearson, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Mark Pearson

Mark Pearson New Member

I am installing an irrigation system that will draw water from a lake. Total run will be 250 feet at a total elevation of 30 feet. What size submersible pump do I need and does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your time and expertise with this matter.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Depends. Are you trying to run 10 impact heads (needs high pressure) each reaching out to a 70 ft radius? Doing drip irrigation (can use low pressure) to 25 apple trees fewer gpm? Doing zones, or wanting it all at once?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mark Pearson

Mark Pearson New Member

I will be using impact heads and several zones. Never at the same time. No drip irrigation.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The maker of the impact heads will list GPM requirements. For pure irrigation, it is best to have the pump produce the same amount of water that the heads consume, rather than having the pump go on and off.

6. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    How many sprinkler are you planning on running on each zone? Then find out how many GPM's each sprinkler uses and at what pressure. If you can make every zone the same size and match the output of the pump, the pump will not cycle. If you need to use different size zones for different areas of the yard, you can add a Cycle Stop Valve, which will make your pump match any size zone you want or need to run.