Shower valve threaded connection leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Owen Broady

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I sweat in a new shower valve and I didn't pressure test the water inputs until I had finished all the copper and set the valve in place. So I tested the system and I have a very small leak coming from the right threaded connection to the shower valve body. It is not coming from the soldered joint to the thread coupling but from the coupling to the body. I thought I had adequately taped the screw connection but it appears that I have not.

Any recommendations for a fix? As it would probably not be very fun to try to remove the coupling and retaping the joint, since it is set in really close to the vertical stud.

Background info: Im an intermediate DIYer, and should have most common tools already.

Thanks,
Owen

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_191210_01.jpg
    IMG_20180114_191210_01.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_20180114_191221_01.jpg
    IMG_20180114_191221_01.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 444

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't have a choice. You MUST disassemble the threaded joint, and re-do it. If it were me, I'd remove
any mounting screws/straps to loosen everything up, and if necessary remove the mounting block, cut the vertical
copper pipe a few inches below the valve. Unscrew the joint, and inspect for damage, replacing parts if necessary.
Then clean up/prepare the vertical joint for soldering back together with
a repair coupling slid onto the pipe. Screw the pieces back together with ample thread tape/thread compound, position
the repair coupling correctly, and solder it in.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a common leak, and good thing you caught it now.

There is not much to add to the answer above, except:

1. The female adapter, elbow and the short pipes - use only new fittings.

2. Don't overheat the solder, aim the flame on the fitting, and wipe it while still hot.

3. Remove the plastic rough in valve before soldering.

Let it cool, put the valve back in, secure everything and pressure test.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first "mistake" was NOT soldering the tubing into the valve openings instead of using threaded adapters. The ONLY way to fix the leak is to take it apart and redo it.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, unscrew the 2x4 from the studs. Unscrew the valve from the 2x4. Take a close-quarter saw and cut the pipe down below the el. Unscrew the female adapter from the valve body. Wrap "Teflon tape" around the male threads on the valve body. Take a repair coupling and slide it down the feeder pipe. Screw the female adapter back on to the valve. Clean up the pipe, apply flux, and slide the coupling back up the pipe, solder it up. Fall down on your knees and pray. Good luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most valves, even though they have threads, are sized as a socket to allow you to insert the pipe directly into the valve body and solder it which is what HJ was saying. Getting a taped connection too hot when soldering a fitting nearby can damage the tape and create a leak. The more reliable method is to just solder the pipe into the valve.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most valves, even though they have threads, are sized as a socket to allow you to insert the pipe directly into the valve body and solder it which is what HJ was saying. Getting a taped connection too hot when soldering a fitting nearby can damage the tape and create a leak. The more reliable method is to just solder the pipe into the valve.
Best.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks