Shower Diverter keeps breaking

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeThomas

Reaction score
I have a Shower Diverter that keeps stuck having issues, where water goes to Both the Tub Spout and the Shower Head. We have replaced two shower spouts with diverters in the last month. Is there an underlying issue which can keep causing this? The shower diverters keep having issues, regardless if I get new ones.

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,687

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What piping is run to the tub spout? It can be either copper or pipe nipples. Those are full sized and don't push water to the shower head.
If the tub spout was run with PEX or CPVC then it will push water to the tub spout.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
What piping is run to the tub spout? It can be either copper or pipe nipples. Those are full sized and don't push water to the shower head.
If the tub spout was run with PEX or CPVC then it will push water to the tub spout.

Since I worked for my grandfather the plumber when I was in HS, let me translate this from plumber speak.

It's a matter of water pressure.

May I suggest replacing that style of spout with this most famous of all.
famousspout.jpg

JoeThomas

Reaction score

we have plastic piping around the apartment building,

JoeThomas

Reaction score
I figured out. Apparently I had a shower diverter from the 1980 and 1990s. Those ones were durable/strong enough to pushed down While the Water is running.

The newer shower diverters are cheaply made, and do Not allow this method. In the new shower diverters, water must be stopped First, before the diverter can be pressed down. I went through so many, until someone mentioned. Welcome to the 2020s.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks