Rusted Tank Bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

YourAverageJoe

Reaction score
Hi all. We have 3 older (20+years) Totos, and in two of them the tank bolts have rusted tremendously (never thought to replace them). One so much so that it is now leaking. I've tried a few things but can't get them off and there doesn't seem to be enough space between the tank and base to get a hacksaw in there. One plumber said they don't even try to fix that as the tank can crack and I should just get a new toilet. The wax seal hasn't been changed either. Any ideas or should this be an "opportunity" to get a new toilet. My old Totos are 1.6 GPF flappers, can't get 1.6 anymore in CA.

Been kicking the tires on Toto Ultramax II or Eco Ultramax or Kohler Santa Rosa. Does anyone know the difference between the Ultramax II and Eco Ultramax - can't seem to figure that out? Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The MS604 Ultramax II series comes with the good bowl finish and the rinse that swirls. Also the 16-1/8" high bowl.
The MS854 series has the straight down the bowl rinse.
Trapways are similar, performance is similar.

If someone wants to remove old tank bolts, you can put on eye protection and drill out the nuts from below. I've never seen steel bolts come with TOTO though. They have always been brass.

YourAverageJoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The shorter bowl rules the MS854 out for us. Maybe someone replaced the bolts before I bought the house (20 y.a.) with the toilets installed (Toto Atlanta series). Potentially almost 30 years old if they are the originals. Off to do more research!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've sold a few thousand of the TOTO products. They have all worked well for me and my customers.
Well, maybe not the 746, but the others have worked well.
They also have a new Drake 2021, the CST776 and CST775, been selling those lately.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A nut splitter won't work?

nut-splitter-tool.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks