Roman Tub Faucet Low Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Trevor Silverthorne

Reaction score
We have a garden tub with a Moen roman tub faucet. I believe it’s from around 2006 when the home was built. Since we’ve lived here (4 years) the faucet has really low water pressure (hot and cold). We never use the tub because it would probably take a good 40 minutes to fill it up. The separate shower and two sinks have great water pressure so it’s not a common theme in the master bathroom or our home. Do we need to just replace the faucet? Is there anything I can do quickly without a plumber to address? I’m relatively handy.

Reach4

Reaction score
We never use the tub because it would probably take a good 40 minutes to fill it up. The separate shower and two sinks have great water pressure so it’s not a common theme in the master bathroom or our home.
How is the flow from the sinks while you are trying to fill the tub? That should identify whether the restriction is at the tub or on the way to the bathroom.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
plugged up with debris check aerator first as Terry suggested then if that doesn't do it remove the stems and holding some thing over the open end of the valve ( a bucket perhaps) open and close the water main several times water should blasts out check cartridge for debris clean as necessary. if water doesn't blow out fast with stems removed then it gets a lot tougher but stick with this for now. btw only remove one stem at a time or you'll have a mess on your hands, also you need 2 people one to turn water on and off , other guy to hold bucket and give instructions cell phone or walky talky come in handy

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size and type of piping was used to feed the tub?

What you're likely seeing is low volume and that can be caused by restrictions almost anywhere along the water path. That could be a crimped line, clogged valve or aerator, some debris in the line, a bad washer, and other things, too numerous to mention.

Keep in mind that a typical tub valve using 1/2" supplies won't flow much more than about 6-7 gpm...to see what you really have, try a bucket and a watch or stopwatch and measure. Unless it's lots less than that, it may be all that you're going to get! If it's a 3/4" supply and valve to the tub, you should be able to easily double that volume. So, find out what you have, otherwise, you may not gain anything as that's all you're going to get.

A big soaking tub is kind of dumb with a 1/2" supply and valve, but happens.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
keep it simple even if lines are 1/2 inch . you still go through these steps first at least I would if you have easy to get to places or pictures of all the piping the info might be handy if problem persists 6 or 7 gpm 50 gallons 8 minutes fill time op is talkin 40 minutes
cheap houses 1/2 inch is very common as is slow filling tubs I'd still go through the simple motions of a few simple tests .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks