Troubleshooting low pressure issue with sprinkler zones

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe V

Reaction score
As spring approaches in Texas, I decided to check on the sprinkler zones to see how they were performing. I noticed that the heads in all zones were struggling to pop up, indicating a pressure issue. To investigate further, I connected a pressure meter to one of the outside faucets and observed it showing 44 psi. Last summer, I had to increase the pressure to 60 psi to ensure proper sprinkler function, so I adjusted the PRV valve to raise the pressure to 62 psi. However, this adjustment didn't make any difference, and I also observed the pressure dropping to 20 psi when a sprinkler zone was activated, which was unusual.

To troubleshoot, I turned off all the zones and the water supply to the home, then opened the master valve to allow water flow to the main line supplying all the zone valves. I monitored the city water meter for any signs of water movement to detect potential leaks in the sprinkler main lines, but there was no indication of a leak, which was a positive sign.

Considering these observations, I am now wondering if the issue lies with the PRV, which is 12 years old and came with the home when it was built. It is a Watts LFN45B-M1 valve. Do you agree with my diagnosis that the PRV needs replacement, or is there something else I should consider?

Thank you.

Joe V

Reaction score
It is buried in the ground. Let's say I dig ground and get to the PRV. Is there a special tool to unscrew the black top thingy?
I probably should buy rebuild cartridge on the side if the guts are beyond repair.

Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can buy a 1 inch regulator identical for 65 bucks might find a kit for that price. you dindnt say what size the bigger repair kits are 105 bucks the 1 1/4 regulator is around 160 bucks plus tax. the last 2 I changed were from 08 or 9 screens were clear