Renovation - backpitch under toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

lgd63

Reaction score
Hello - I live in a very old home that is full of cast iron and lead bends. As such, I had a number of leaks and plumbing issues in my one bathroom (hence my ceiling) which is located on the second floor of my house. No one was able to repair our issues after many tries. So we decided to gut the entire bathroom and start over. Including the plumbing. It has been a little bit of a nightmare (mind you I'm using a contractor that has been in the business for decades, a legitimate/licensed/insured plumbing company that has been in business for decades as well).

When we started, we initially decided to tie the new plumbing (drain from sink, tub, toilet and venting) back into the main stack cast iron stack with PVC. This didn't work (leaks), so the plumber started again, literally everything. We took out wall, removed the horizontal piece of cast iron we initially tied into and tied into a vertical piece of the cast iron waste with a no-hub. Long story short this whole thing has been a huge process and there is a lot fatigue on every ones part with respect to this plumbing project.

I go home last evening to check out the new plumbing the plumber did, and it appeared much better, accept on a portion of PVC pipe (maybe about 1 foot) that connects the toilet drain to the main vertical portion of the main stack (approximately 5 feet between the two) has a slight backpitch (please see the attached picture). It appears that the PVC that connects into the main stack is pitched properly, as well as the part coming directly out from underneath the toilet. It is just this middle section of pipe that has the backpitch mentioned above.

I'm not sure whether or not this is okay and if it is something that I should be worried about, especially in light of what a process this has been so far. It seems like it would be a pretty big house of card to try and "fix" the backpitch, and maybe may make more trouble in the end than it is worth (i.e. moving around and cutting pipes that have been sealed). Of course, I would obviously like it to be "right", but I just want to make sure that my untrained eye is not just making me overly paranoid and difficult. I'm really not sure what I should do here.

You have no idea how much I really do appreciate the time and insight, this whole situation since from even before the renovation has been super stressful and exhausting. It's really hard to get a non-biased opinion. I just want it right once and for all. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Plumbing - Backpitch.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 322

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Judging from the bubble on your level, I would estimate that maybe two teaspoons of water would remain in the pipe after a flush. I wouldn't bust a gut trying to correct that. Of greater concern is that tee on its back. Does the toilet flush down into that fitting, or is it further upstream?

lgd63

Reaction score
Judging from the bubble on your level, I would estimate that maybe two teaspoons of water would remain in the pipe after a flush. I wouldn't bust a gut trying to correct that. Of greater concern is that tee on its back. Does the toilet flush down into that fitting, or is it further upstream?
Thank you for the reply. That is the response I keep getting that it is not a great worry. I don’t know much about plumbing, but I know that the pipes are not supposed to leak and that they are supposed to have a slope to the exit...anyway, that T you pointed out is connecting the vent pipe. The toilet drain is to the right of that (further upstream as you mentioned) which is a 45 degree angled pipe that connects into the right side of the T which connects into the vent which is the pipe you see running vertically out from the T. The pipe to the left of the T is one with the back pitch. Does that make sense? If so, does that still give you cause for concern? Thanks again for the reply.

lgd63

Reaction score
I'd try unscrewing that pipe bracket. Take the mj clamp off. and cut 1/4 " off and put it back together
Thanks for the response. When you say, “cut 1/4” off” what are referring to. Put another way...Cut 1/4” off from what and out what back together. Thanks again, much appreciated.

killy

Reaction score
Making sure the piping and or fittings are joined correctly and having the proper pitch are the first two things a plumber should check upon installation. But there are other factors involved. One key factor is the backfill. You must either compact the C6/C7 gravel to make sure the piping doesn’t move or backfill with a self-compacting material like pea gravel. Most municipalities specify what is allowed and most cases they also insect the installation before final backfill but I’ve experienced many occasions where plumbing contractors are left to their own discretion. You must make sure the fill supports the pitch. If you do not you run the very real risk of the ground settling creating bellies like the negative slope picture above or piping coming completely apart.

construction services near me

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks