Push button sink drain stuck closed

Users who are viewing this thread

adulting

Reaction score
I have a push button bathroom sink drain that is stuck down. (way down, about 1/4" below the outer ring) I can not get it to release, and can not get it to unscrew while depressed. The drain and sink are only about 4 months old. Is there a way to fix this? Or do I need to replace the whole drain assembly?

Attachments

• IMG_8376.JPG
    IMG_8376.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 250

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might put a bowl under the p-trap to drain it. Then perhaps something thin from the bottom and see if you can move it upward.

adulting

Reaction score
There is currently no water in the sink.
Are you saying to open at the P-trap and push from beneath? Is there access to the stem from beneath? (Sorry, I'm DIY...trying to avoid having a plumber come over, with all this virus stuff going on.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe no water in the sink, but there will be water in the p-trap. It's designed to always have water which acts as a seal against sewer gas from entering your home.
You want a place to catch that water when the p-trap is removed.
You may be able to push from below with something thin like a long screwdriver.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks