Pulled my first well pump some questions

Users who are viewing this thread

trotter13

Reaction score
So your putting back 23 year old stand offs?
Should I get new ones or leave them off altogether? I think you asked me about the 1-1/4 to 1 "adapter. It's about 3" long that tapers up to 1" in other words its shaped like a cone. It's made by everbuilt the company that makes the pump. Torque arrestor is made by that company also.

trotter13

Reaction score
Like I said I never use stand offs or torque arrsestors. Double jacketed wire, taped every 10-20', and don't let the pump cycle repeatedly.
The wire is flat wire seems good. Dont forget my casing is 6" Not 4"

trotter13

Reaction score
Anywhere that flat yellow wire touches anything, pipe, stand offs, casing, etc, it will chaff. Always better to have double insulated wire.
Danm, thanks valveman. But I already put everything together and almost ready to drop it. Just have to cut those 23yr old stand offs- off. I have to start all over and its 7 degrees out here. I'm starting to smell like a chicken coop!
So with a 6 casting, no stan offs no torture arrester? I see u are the man here and well respected. I dont take your advice lightly. I too must respect what u say.
Tom

Reach4

Reaction score
Danm, thanks valveman. But I already put everything together and almost ready to drop it. Just have to cut those 23yr old stand offs- off. I have to start all over and its 7 degrees out here. I'm starting to smell like a chicken coop!
So with a 6 casting, no stan offs no torture arrester? I see u are the man here and well respected. I dont take your advice lightly. I too must respect what u say.

Flow inducer (sleeve, shroud) for your 6 inch casing will keep your pump cooler.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/lets-talk-inducer-sleeves.78342/#post-570428

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I saw a YouTube video on something like that. Would that be a schedule type 80 Pvc 4" sleeve?
No need for thick; thin is better for this. Best would be 4 inch solvent weld specification D2729 sewer pipe: OD 4.215 ID 4.056 That is often green, as in the photo.

Schedule 40 4 inch would be quite acceptable ( OD 4.500 ID 4.026) but would be stiffer to work with if using the construction shown in that link. With the well cap type construction, you would need schedule 40. Schedule 80 would be good, even if you could find it. I won't bother looking up its dimensions.

What is the situation on the wires to the pit?

Last edited:

trotter13

Reaction score
What link? All I see is an ad for cooling tower controls , is that the link? Should I worry about cooling the pump the old one was down there for 23yrs with no problems.

Man this spell check is really doing a number on my posts. "Who checks the spell check"?

Reach4

Reaction score
What link?
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/lets-talk-inducer-sleeves.78342/#post-570428
Should I worry about cooling the pump the old one was down there for 23yrs with no problems.
Excellent point. Since your motor is only 3/4 and it sits in cool water, and you don't run for hours on end, the cooling is probably not needed. Your new pump is a little smaller and lighter than the old one (I say presumptuously), so it may not handle heat quite as well.

There is the aspect that the shroud protects the pump a bit too.

I have wondered about using a torque arrestor only flared out to 4.5 inches in a 6 inch casing. It would serve as a bumper but should not risk getting hung up when pulling the pump. Just thinking.... I have no relevant experience.

trotter13

Reaction score

Excellent point. Since your motor is only 3/4 and it sits in cool water, and you don't run for hours on end, the cooling is probably not needed. Your new pump is a little smaller and lighter than the old one (I say presumptuously), so it may not handle heat quite as well.

There is the aspect that the shroud protects the pump a bit too.

I have wondered about using a torque arrestor only flared out to 4.5 inches in a 6 inch casing. It would serve as a bumper but should not risk getting hung up when pulling the pump. Just thinking.... I have no relevant experience.
That's is exactly what I was thinking about the torque arrestor. I have visions of the pump banging the casing. Btw how many times should the pump come on taking a 5 minute shower?
My pressure tank is 4ft high. I looked for gals on it but it doesn't say. Its tall & skinny if that helps.

Reach4

Reaction score
That's is exactly what I was thinking about the torque arrestor.
If a torque arestor is truly to absorb torque, I think it would have to be expanded to 6 inches in a 6 inch casing, or maybe more to give some friction to the casing. I have not seen this actually discussed.

Btw how many times should the pump come on taking a 5 minute shower?
My pressure tank is 4ft high. I looked for gals on it but it doesn't say. Its tall & skinny if that helps.

48 inches is pretty tall.
http://www.amtrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/MC7025-09_17-WXT-Sizing-Card.pdf has a dimensions chart.

You probably have a label, but it may be facing the wall. Maybe you could slide a camera back there.

Anyway, suppose a 47 inch tall 62 gallon tank delivers 15 gallons before cutting on. Suppose shower is 2.5 gpm. Then probably once during a 5 minute shower.

On the other hand, a 47 inch tall 32 gallon tank might deliver 7 gallons before cutting off. Then about twice.

10 minute showers are more common than 5 minute showers. Commonly posted average is 8.2 minutes.

trotter13

Reaction score
If a torque arestor is truly to absorb torque, I think it would have to be expanded to 6 inches in a 6 inch casing, or maybe more to give some friction to the casing. I have not seen this actually discussed.

48 inches is pretty tall.
http://www.amtrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/MC7025-09_17-WXT-Sizing-Card.pdf has a dimensions chart.

You probably have a label, but it may be facing the wall. Maybe you could slide a camera back there.

Anyway, suppose a 47 inch tall 62 gallon tank delivers 15 gallons before cutting on. Suppose shower is 2.5 gpm. Then probably once during a 5 minute shower.

On the other hand, a 47 inch tall 32 gallon tank might deliver 7 gallons before cutting off. Then about twice.

10 minute showers are more common than 5 minute showers. Commonly posted average is 8.2 minutes.

It says draw down 9.9 .mine is old 1996

Reach4

Reaction score
It says draw down 9.9 .mine is old 1996
That pretty much confirms the popular 32 gallon size. That 9.9 will be a slight exaggeration compared to the real world.

You could test you own draw down. Let the pump click on, and discontinue all water use. See how many 5 gallon buckets of water you can fill before the pressure switch clicks on again. It would also be interesting how much water you draw with the pump turned off. That should be a little more, because the pressure switch ticks on while there is still a little water in the pressure tank.

I guess you could turn off the valve to the house, and draw the water at the pressure tank drain. That makes sure that water draining from house plumbing is not contributing water. It would also count toward draining your pressure tank of sediment. Filling buckets would let you see the sediment.

trotter13

Reaction score
That pretty much confirms the popular 32 gallon size. That 9.9 will be a slight exaggeration compared to the real world.

You could test you own draw down. Let the pump click on, and discontinue all water use. See how many 5 gallon buckets of water you can fill before the pressure switch clicks on again. It would also be interesting how much water you draw with the pump turned off. That should be a little more, because the pressure switch ticks on while there is still a little water in the pressure tank.

I guess you could turn off the valve to the house, and draw the water at the pressure tank drain. That makes sure that water draining from house plumbing is not contributing water. It would also count toward draining your pressure tank of sediment. Filling buckets would let you see the sediment.
I just looked at my breaker.why would I have a 30 double pole?

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
Tom
Stupid question of the day, what is a standoff? And no torque arrestor? 6 castings that is the pipe I'm guessing? I do agree with being the man and respecting his opinion. I am not anyway questioning his knowledge and opinion. But this much I do know when I drop mine pump back into the well. I want it to look like something he would put in the well. Thank you guys, sorry for butting in.

trotter13

Reaction score
SmartSelect_20190308-180107_Google.jpg
Stupid question of the day, what is a standoff? And no torque arrestor? 6 castings that is the pipe I'm guessing? I do agree with being the man and respecting his opinion. I am not anyway questioning his knowledge and opinion. But this much I do know when I drop mine pump back into the well. I want it to look like something he would put in the well. Thank you guys, sorry for butting in.
View attachment 52182

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks