Joining two poly well drop pipes to make one long length

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris5

Reaction score
Hello,

What a great forum. Just found this. New subscriber here with my first post.
I have an existing well at 400 feet. It currently is hard piped with PVC drop pipe. It is 30 years old. Time to replace all the "guts". I plan to do this myself after a lot of research done, so I know what I am getting myself into.

I plan to use 1" poly pipe that is rated to 200 psi. Locally I can only get 200 and 300 foot lengths at this psi rating.
My questions to the forum:
1. Can I buy quantity (2) rolls of 200 feet poly and connect them together with a stainless steel barbed fitting along with stainless steel hose clamps to make one continuous length of 400 feet?

2. Should I use 250 psi rate poly?

3. Can I do the same with two rolls of 2-wire electrical cable and join them together to make the 400 feet? (Will be using metal crimped connectors and shrink wrap in a kit, just like how I plan to connect the pump leads to the submersible rate electrical cable).

Thanks for the help !!!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is best if pipe and wire is one continuous piece, but yes, you can couple the pipe and wire together to make it longer as needed. However, 400' is very deep for any poly pipe. Just the depth of 400' is the same as 173 PSI on the pipe. Add to that the 60 PSI max of a 40/60 switch and the pipe could see 233 PSI. Even 200# pipe can easily handle the pressure, but the depth will cause a lot of stretch and torque. The pump cycling on and off will whip the slack in the wire against the casing and/or drop pipe, making it hard not to chaff. I would stick with at least sch 80 if not sch 120 PVC and metal couplings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks