Problem with Moen 1225 Shower Replacement - Stop Tube

Users who are viewing this thread

pwtnet

Reaction score
I'm fairly experienced replacing Moen 1225 cartridges on my sinks. But I'm having a problem with the one on my shower. After I pull off the handle and cover plate, I can't get the stop tube out. It seems to be embedded in a plastic housing. None of the online vids show one of these plastic covers in them (you just see the valve in the hole in the shower.

If I manipulate the stop tube, the whole plastic assembly moves with it. Any suggestions?

I've attached a photo. The problem seems to be with the reddish piece.

shower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pwtnet

Reaction score
Oh - this would have all been installed in the late 1980's. Haven't had the stop tube out in all that time!

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that kerf in the shower surround at about the 4:30 position something that you did recently?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plastic behind is used to prevent the tile from being too close to the valve, normally tossed after tiling. It's also used to hold the valve when used with a fiberglass enclosure. The stop tube will pull straight out and part of the plastic tile guard may need to be cut to lift up the retainer clip for the cartridge.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I knew what lay under there, which I think you may know, I would consider taking a hole saw and clearing out a space.

To use a hole saw, such as a 4 inch hole saw, you drill a hole into a piece of scrap plywood. You remove the pilot drill. You have somebody hold that plywood firmly over where you want to cut, and drill. The plywood keeps the hole saw from skittering.

pwtnet

Reaction score
The plastic behind is used to prevent the tile from being too close to the valve, normally tossed after tiling. It's also used to hold the valve when used with a fiberglass enclosure. The stop tube will pull straight out and part of the plastic tile guard may need to be cut to lift up the retainer clip for the cartridge.

Thanks Terry. You're absolutely right. I wiggled and pulled and out it finally came. Shower's now working like new! Half of DIY is knowing "how hard CAN I pull on this without breaking something". And you answered it.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks