Moen tub/ shower control, uneven pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Kenmags

Reaction score
I do not get cold water, plenty if hit. Replaced cartridge valve still no cold. I then took out valve, shut off hit water at water heater, turned on, no water came out. But there us plenty coming out at sink. Is there some kind of blockage in the moen control in the wall? What parts should i get or do i beed a new unit? It is 30 years old.
Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A thirty year old non-balanced Moen, the cartridge would not have much affect on water pressure side to side.
If you have the pressure balanced "Moentrol", you may have an issue with the balance spool.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At 30-years old, it's iffy if you have a pressure balanced valve. But, if you do, it is entirely normal to have it shut off when the pressure from both hot AND cold supplies are not present. Under normal circumstances, a momentary drop in pressure on one side would cause a corresponding decrease in flow from the other in an effort to maintain the balance (and therefore the temperature). This is a safety feature mandated on all new valves, and could be on the one you have.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
REmove the round trim ring and look at the brass valve body. If you have a large slotted "nut' on the right side, you have a Moentrol valve and the balancing unit is part of that 'nut" and has to be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks