Moen Posi Temp Shower Cartridge Valve Plugged

Users who are viewing this thread

etbrown4

Reaction score
Like most municipal water systems, and private wells, we have plenty of sediment which eventually plugs a shower valve. Some of the passages appear to be 1/4" or less, so we find that with typical sediment you can have very limited flow in 10 years or so.

Interested what the old pros like Terry suggest, other than valve replacement.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Won't it blast out removing cartridge ? Perhaps replacing the cartridge but the valve body itself is closing up?

etbrown4

Reaction score
wont it blast out removing cartridge ? perhaps replacing the cartridge but the valve body itself is closing up?
The cartridge area is clear. There are some obvious small passage ways on the right side if I remember correctly and they can easily close up.
Guessing the usual cure is new valve.

About 20 years ago, I decided one was mostly full of sediment so thought I'd experiment. Drilled a 3/16" or so hole in an obvious passage and cleared it well with coat hanger and air. Tapped the hole and inserted the correct size stainless hex Allen. screw. I have the sizes written somewhere. Started working well.

It's not difficult once you figure it out. Was curious what others have done.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj has mentioned the fact that most shower valves have four ports. The water first goes down, in case there is a tub spout, and if it's shower only, that gets capped and the leg on the bottom can fill with sediment.

etbrown4

Reaction score
hj has mentioned the fact that most shower valves have four ports. The water first goes down, in case there is a tub spout, and if it's shower only, that gets capped and the leg on the bottom can fill with sediment.
The valve looks like this. Pretty sure the bottom leg would supply the tub if you have one.
When these plug with sediment and the flow is poor, is there any alternative but to replace them? (other than the drilled hole I mentioned)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220513-095604_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-095604_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks