Kohler Archer K-1946-LA Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

John Seneca

Reaction score
I recently finished a bathroom remodel and installed a Kohler Archer 1946-LA 5ft bathtub. My wife wanted a deep soaking tub and this is perfect for her. The room was gutted and the floor under the tub and around the toilet was replaced. My plumber used mortar to set the tub. The shower surround and floor are tiled. After a month I noticed the tub made a load pop sound while taking a shower. The sound occurs when I push on the slopped edge near the bottom of the tub. Push, it pops. Release, it pops. Turns out the tub is defective. Kohler sent me a new tub. I inspected the new tub and it has a different issue and is also defective. There is a 1.5" round depression or blemish and a few small bubbles in the surface of the tub. The plumbing store is going to get me another replacement or another tub of my choice.

After getting two tubs with issues, I am a bit concerned about using Kohler. Another concern with this tub is the sides can be easily pushed in. When I push on the apron or rest my foot on it, it squeaks. Has anyone else experienced issues with Kohler Archer tubs or am I just unlucky? I don’t want to have another issue down the road that requires replacement.

I looked at the Mirabelle Sitka and it’s a sturdier tub in regards to the flexing. Has anyone had experience with this brand? Are there other brands of acrylic tubs that you would recommend or should I stay with the Kohler Archer?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm so sorry you're having issues with the Archer. I did notice on some tubs that they are coming with plastic bracing to prevent the aprons from being pushed in from the room side. These are snap on braces.

John Seneca

Reaction score
I'm so sorry you're having issues with the Archer. I did notice on some tubs that they are coming with plastic bracing to prevent the aprons from being pushed in from the room side. These are snap on braces.

Terry,

My main concern is the quality of the Kohler Archer. After two tubs with issues, I'm loosing faith in this product. Is this tub prone to cracking, delamination or other issues that would require replacement?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks