Just when you thought you saw it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Warrloki

Reaction score
I had been noticing the "odd smell" for a week or so, when I noticed that there was water puddling by the toilet. Since the shower is only used for visitors, figured the toilet was leaking. So after draining and removing the toilet, I removed the wax ring. Then I found what you see in the images.
Yes, it is a PVC flange that was screwed (with wood screws!!) and listing to the left (as sitting down). To top it off, there is some type of (presuming here) concrete-type filler that was used that is chalky (not set if you know concrete).
So the question is, how do I remove the old one with out having to get a plumber in here and charge me for something that I feel should have been an easy fix. Oh and the Mrs. really wants me to have this finished today.

Attachments

• Overhead.jpeg
    Overhead.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Lowside.jpeg
    Lowside.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Highside.jpg
    Highside.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 243

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally that would either be two wax seals stacked, or a thick wax seal. A single wax would have never sealed there.
Make sure before you set the bowl down on the wax that the bowl isn't rocking. If it rocks, shim at the back pinning the front of the bowl down.
Lift the bowl back up, drop the wax seals down, and then set the bowl down over the wax. You might want to pick up some new closet bolts while you are at it, a new supply line and some clear caulking. The flange should be secured to the floor.

Warrloki

Reaction score
Normally that would either be two wax seals stacked, or a thick wax seal. A single wax would have never sealed there.
Make sure before you set the bowl down on the wax that the bowl isn't rocking. If it rocks, shim at the back pinning the front of the bowl down.
Lift the bowl back up, drop the wax seals down, and then set the bowl down over the wax. You might want to pick up some new closet bolts while you are at it, a new supply line and some clear caulking. The flange should be secured to the floor.

The flange has a broken section on one of the locations that hold the bolt. But it is sitting at a funny angle and concreted in place.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I shouldn't remove the existing flange?
Yes, you should not when using a repair ring. Do put wax between the existing flange and the repair ring, to prevent a path for gas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks