Is there a code requirement for distance between fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

b_ballard

Reaction score
Hello, I have a general question about DWV fittings: is there any code requirement for distance between two DWV fittings other than specific situations like trap arms, etc? Like if I have combo, wye and 45 fitting that need to bump right up against eachother due to space constraints is that ok? Or does there need to be some amount of visible pipe between them to pass inspection?

I've looked through the local code book but can't seem to find the answer to this question.

I also have a specific example I'm wondering about: I'm trying to fit a closet elbow into an 8" joist cavity and I'm wondering what the quickest way to make that turn is. I have two things in mind...see the attached photo. Option 1, which I've seen suggested on here before, is a 4x3 spigot/hub elbow with a 4" flange on top. But I'm also wondering if option 2 is a valid/not-dumb idea. It's a standard closet elbow, with a very small bit of 4" pipe, and a flange sitting inside of that.

I haven't seen option 2 suggested on here, so I'm assuming it violates something or doesn't work well in practice, but I'd like to hear from those with experience.
IMG_20200415_124638.jpg

Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Seattle you only need 3" for the toilet. So if a medium 3" 90 is shorter then why not? A spigot 4x3 closet flange works for that.
The 4x3 closet bend can also be used. I sometimes use the spigot version with a 4" hub closet flange.

b_ballard

Reaction score
In Seattle you only need 3" for the toilet. So if a medium 3" 90 is shorter then why not? A spigot 4x3 closet flange works for that.
The 4x3 closet bend can also be used. I sometimes use the spigot version with a 4" hub closet flange.

Cool, thanks Terry. So it sounds like either of the options I had pictured would work.

Do you happen to know the answer to the general question of whether there's a minimum distance between two fittings? Can I bump fittings right up next to one another?

Thanks again for the help.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
And if you are really fighting for space, you can get street fittings, where one end is the size of a pipe and goes directly into the next fitting.

Cheers, Wayne

b_ballard

Reaction score
And if you are really fighting for space, you can get street fittings, where one end is the size of a pipe and goes directly into the next fitting.

Cheers, Wayne

I've seen the word 'street' on some fittings but never stopped to figure out what that meant. Thanks, that will definitely help!

Reach4

Reaction score
I've seen the word 'street' on some fittings but never stopped to figure out what that meant. Thanks, that will definitely help!
Yep. Spigot on a fitting means the same size as a pipe. Street means one side has a spigot end, and the other side has a hub end.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both Closet bends are fine. I have done like you show in option 2 but Question the legality as well because basicaly you are glueing a 3 inch fitting inside of a 4 inch pipe. Pipe is supposed to be glued on the out side that closet ring is a 3 inch fitting meant to glue over a 3 inch pipe not inside a 4 inch. you can stuff a 3inch coupling inside a 4 inch pipe works great good fit but I dont think its legal. You wouldnt be the first one to do that wink wink.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pipe is supposed to be glued on the out side that closet ring is a 3 inch fitting meant to glue over a 3 inch pipe not inside a 4 inch. you can stuff a 3inch coupling inside a 4 inch pipe works great good fit but I dont think its legal.
That's what the common "4 in. x 3 in." closet flanges are all about. They are meant/specified to glue inside a 4 inch schedule 40 pipe, or outside of a 3 inch. Nothing hokey going on there.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's what the common "4 in. x 3 in." close flanges are all about. They are meant/specified to glue inside a 4 inch schedule 40 pipe, or outside of a 3 inch. Nothing hokey going on there.

Ok ill have to look that up kinda like glueing a 3 inch coupling inside a 4 inch pipe didnt think it was proper but works

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks