How to replace broken PVC pipe at valve joint? Water keeps leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Can I reuse my old valve? Part of the PVC pipe is broken inside the valve.

Also, the water keeps dripping out of the PVC pipe even though the water is shut off at the control box.

As well, none of the other zones work. When I turn on any of the other 3 zones water gushes out of the broken pipe and the other zones won't operate.

The first picture is of the broken pipe at the valve and the second photo is of the control box and water shutoff.

brokenpvcpipe2.jpg

controlboxweb.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It kind of depends if you can grip it internally and how strong you are. You will need a back set of pliers and a way to turn the fitting inside.

channel-lock-pliers.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I'll give that a go.

Any ideas on why the water keeps dripping out of the PVC pipe? There isn't a backflow preventer on this irrigation system, is that important?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Your pipe is broken between the valve and the manifold and anytime the water or pump is turned on, all the water will gush out of the broken end and nothing out else where. Typically these valves are all over the yard, not in one neat location, therefore, you can have quite a lot of pipe between all the valves and the manifold, usually just a pipe feeding all of the valves with tee fittings makes up the hand made manifold. Water is dripping out and it is from all the water laying in the pipe. Use a shop vac to suck out as much water as possible so you can glue up the pipe.

Sometimes you can get lucky by working out the broken thread in the valve using channel locks, pliers, long nose pliers or vice grips. I've even used a hack saw blade to slightly cut into the threaded area and slowly tear out the pieces. Other times just spend $12-$15 for a new one and save a lot of time.
noname.png

Reaction score
There is no manifold apparently. There are only two green circular covers that house one valve each.

Even with the water turned off there is still water leaking out of the pvc pipe.

I need to figure out how to stop the leak.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You do not have a manifold per say. From your water source to each valve is essentially a manifold an it could be 20 or 30 feet of pipe. Again you do not have a leak. The pipe always have water in it even when the water is off and you are seeing the pipe draining. It can take forever to completely drain dry. It is why I suggested to use a shop vac to pull out as much water as possible. If it still drips and you need to glue, you can flex the pipe upward somewhat to hold back the water to coat the fitting with glue then make the connection. I’ve done it many times.

The pictures shows that There have been repairs before. Too many fittings in a short section is the clue. The pipe leading to the valve probably work better using a few 45 degree elbows to make the connection and relieve some stress on the connection.

Reaction score
The area around the shut off is like mud. I think it's been leaking for some time. I'm going to rebuild the whole system and switch to a (real) drip. Good to know about too many connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks