How to remove bathroom sink drain collar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Capt. David

Reaction score
Terry,
I am replacing my bathroom sink fixture, and drain assembly. I've managed to get the faucet out, but am stuck removing the drain collar assembly. It's all loose, but the collar (above), and pipe (below) seem to be one piece, and will not fit through hole in either direction. Please help with suggestions. Thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

It would have been a lot easier to do before you loosened it from the sink. Now you have to hold the collar somehow while you unscrew it from the drain fitting.

Capt. David

Reaction score
Thank you

Yes, it was a matter of removing the collar, which was so mucked-up, I didn't know it was threaded. Mission accomplished.
Anon,
Capt. David

kenfused

Reaction score
Hello,
is there an easy way to unscrew the sink drain collar without needing to loosen anything from below?

If not, If I loosen the main flange (terminology?) under the sink drain from below, how do I get a grip on the sink drain collar on top to unscrew it?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
usually, before you loosen the bottom nut, if you hold it as if you were going to TIGHTEN it, and "UNSCREW" the drain body, the collar will come loose.

kenfused

Reaction score
Thanks.
I'm a total newbie.
What do I need to hold? hold the drain collar and unscrew from below on the drain body?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You hold the large nut, and then "unscrew" the drain body out of it. The difference in thread pitch between the large nut and the collar, creates "pressure" which clamps the collar so the drain loosens from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenfused

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.
I assume I also have to release the part that connects the pop up drain (moves it up and down) before trying to twist anything!

Then I (hopefully) remove the old one, put the new one down with a layer of plumbers putty then retighten.

If it doesn't come loose, any other tricks to loosen the collar?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have NEVER had one NOT come loose if it is done exactly the way I describe it. Once collar comes loose, you can release your grip on the big nut and unscrew it the rest of the way from the collar. The alternative is a hacksaw cutting through the drain and rubber washer right below the sink.

kenfused

Reaction score
delta_pop_up.jpg

Looking at this diAgram do I have to disconnect the tailpipe too?
Sorry for All the questions. I am doing this at a friends house so I am not looking at the pipe at the moment.
Also do I use pipe compound to reattach the pipes?

kenfused

Reaction score
How do you use pliers to hold the flange when it is in the sink?
Doesn't seem like there is much to hold on to

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First you have to loosen the big nut underneath...then the flange will rise an inch or so above where it contacts the sink. You have to be careful to not scratch the sinke, and if it is stubborn, that is why I and others often resort to just cutting below the sink bottom. Chances are you are not planning to reuse any of this anyway??

kenfused

Reaction score
actually I was hoping to only replace the collar (as it has become scratched and rusty).
I should be able to reuse the pop up drain part and replace the gasket/nut/washer right? (these parts are under the sink right?) only the collar (and putty) is above?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you have a replacement flange on hand?

Normally by the time you need to replace the flange, the parts have changed dramatically and no long match up.
Anytime we work on them, we pick up a new drain assembly and "trash can" the old one.
If the sink is more then twenty years old, I like to trash that too.
Porcelain on steel will rust out at about that time.

delta_pop_up.jpg

kenfused

Reaction score
Kohler sent me a new flange. I'm replacing mainly b/c the flange has gotten damaged, (chemicals?) so now it rusts even though it is satin nickel finish. The drain and sink are about 8 years old, so I didn't think I'd need to replace everything... (hoping)

BTW, this is a dumb question.
I'm looking at replacement parts, what does an drain "with overflow" mean?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most, not all, bathroom sinks have an overflow hole near the top of the bowl...to prevent overflow if you accidentally overfill it. That overflow hole channels water down to the area of the drain, and the holes you see in the drain body, just below the flange, allow that water to flow into the pipe.

kenfused

Reaction score
Thanks!

How long do pop up drains last?
I should be able to get away with just replacing the collar right?

gmom

Reaction score
I am having this same problem. The drain is at least 17 years old and stuck solid. Can I saw thru a metal pipe with a hacksaw? Learning to try to fix things after becoming newly single so sorry to sound dumb! Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks