How to remove bathroom sink drain collar?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Capt. David, Jul 29, 2008.

1. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Consultant
    Yes you can but it is a PIA with the sink still mounted,remove the stopper and cut through the rubber between the sink and nut on pop up.
    Under side of sink.

2. gmom

gmom New Member

Thanks. It already is a PIA! Any special hacksaw blade I should use? At least he left me some tools!

3. MrBugSir

MrBugSir New Member

Sink from Hell

I know this thread is a couple years old, but the diagram is pretty similar from that sink from hell that I have been trying to remove the drain collar from for years. But it doesn't have a nut; the bottom piece has a built on nut and the sleeve is corroded so well that it feels like a single piece of metal. I have cranked and cranked on it endlessly, I am surprised the sink hasn't shattered around it yet, and I cannot get the pieces free from each other.

The bottom piece of that pipe - should I be moving it clockwise or counterclockwise when viewing it from underneath the sink?

Also, what can I do to free up those pieces from each other? Is heating it up with a plumber torch a good idea? If so, where should the flame touch and for how long? I don't see any way to get any solvents in there.

4. davearonson

davearonson Knows Just Enough about Plumbing to be Dangerous

Software Development Consultant
    Your site rescued me once again! I've been trying to remove one of those flanges that screw onto the drain body, but I wasn't familiar with that kind until I saw the post here. Quick tip to hold the flange still while you unscrew the body: press down firmly on it with a piece of grippy rubber, like the jar-openers that some companies give out as advertising. That did the trick just fine for me.

Gregg T Shock and Terry like this.
  5. Gregg T Shock

Gregg T Shock New Member

Great suggestion to use a piece of grippy-rubber jar-opener. I had to press it down firmly on the round chrome sink flange while attempting to turn the pipe shaft at least 6 or 7 times but then it gave just a little and that broke the seal. All down hill from there, thanks for taking the time to post that!

Btw, the pipe under the sink should be turned counterclockwise (when looking up at the sink basin from underneath) in order to loosen the pipe from the flange up in the sink drain opening (terms?). FYI

6. Stanion

Stanion New Member

This worked well for me. I had already disassembled things and tried to hold the flange with pliers while unscrewing from below, but that didn't work. So I reassembled and tried HJ's approach with easy success.