How to remove bathroom sink drain collar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I am having this same problem. The drain is at least 17 years old and stuck solid. Can I saw thru a metal pipe with a hacksaw? Learning to try to fix things after becoming newly single so sorry to sound dumb! Thanks!
Yes you can but it is a PIA with the sink still mounted,remove the stopper and cut through the rubber between the sink and nut on pop up.
Under side of sink.

gmom

Reaction score
Thanks. It already is a PIA! Any special hacksaw blade I should use? At least he left me some tools!

MrBugSir

Reaction score
Sink from Hell

I know this thread is a couple years old, but the diagram is pretty similar from that sink from hell that I have been trying to remove the drain collar from for years. But it doesn't have a nut; the bottom piece has a built on nut and the sleeve is corroded so well that it feels like a single piece of metal. I have cranked and cranked on it endlessly, I am surprised the sink hasn't shattered around it yet, and I cannot get the pieces free from each other.

The bottom piece of that pipe - should I be moving it clockwise or counterclockwise when viewing it from underneath the sink?

Also, what can I do to free up those pieces from each other? Is heating it up with a plumber torch a good idea? If so, where should the flame touch and for how long? I don't see any way to get any solvents in there.

davearonson

Knows Just Enough about Plumbing to be Dangerous
Reaction score
Website
www.davearonson.com
Your site rescued me once again! I've been trying to remove one of those flanges that screw onto the drain body, but I wasn't familiar with that kind until I saw the post here. Quick tip to hold the flange still while you unscrew the body: press down firmly on it with a piece of grippy rubber, like the jar-openers that some companies give out as advertising. That did the trick just fine for me.

Gregg T Shock

Reaction score
Great suggestion to use a piece of grippy-rubber jar-opener. I had to press it down firmly on the round chrome sink flange while attempting to turn the pipe shaft at least 6 or 7 times but then it gave just a little and that broke the seal. All down hill from there, thanks for taking the time to post that!

Btw, the pipe under the sink should be turned counterclockwise (when looking up at the sink basin from underneath) in order to loosen the pipe from the flange up in the sink drain opening (terms?). FYI

Stanion

Reaction score
You hold the large nut, and then "unscrew" the drain body out of it. The difference in thread pitch between the large nut and the collar, creates "pressure" which clamps the collar so the drain loosens from it.
This worked well for me. I had already disassembled things and tried to hold the flange with pliers while unscrewing from below, but that didn't work. So I reassembled and tried HJ's approach with easy success.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks