How to make an in-between length of brass nipple?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Regarding not being able to buy the copper fittings - it's hard to believe your "plumbing shop" doesn't have these common fittings (every HD and Lowes has them). Anyways...

As far as leaking goes, its not as likely/easy to have leak on a tub fill or shower head since these pipes don't have full water pressure on them (one end of the pipe is always open).

Story of a DIYer: When I did my shower build, I ran into the same problem with my hand-held shower arm connection; a 2" was too short and 2-1/2 was too long (so I ordered a custom length 2-1/4 nipple) - ironically when I removed the old nipple to install the new 2-1/4 nipple, the 2-1/4 was now too short. The action of installing, tightening, and then removing the pipe nipples "enlarged" the female NPT threads in the drop elbow fitting some - so I ended up reinstalling the 2-1/2 which then fit perfectly.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree cut off 2 threads on both sides or just one side with a hack saw. I do this all the time. It's not under pressure so it's fine. And brass is easy to cut thru. Add a nipple and coupling for extra gripping on the job.

Dooglas

Reaction score
You can shorten the nipple by cutting off the extra length with a hack saw. Just drop the blade into the threads and saw it off evenly. Then take a 1/2 iron pipe die and start working the threads back. Screw it on gradually then back repeatedly as you go to clear the chips.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a particular brand for the die ? The guy at Home Depot told me that "a pipe that small won't even be able to get a new threads" So I didn't buy a die set. I imagine I could us a coupler to screw the smaller pipe to a larger pipe and clamp the larger pipe down to work the new threads on the smaller pipe. Any suggestions are appreciated since I've never done this...

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a particular brand for the die ? The guy at Home Depot told me that "a pipe that small won't even be able to get a new threads" So I didn't buy a die set. I imagine I could us a coupler to screw the smaller pipe to a larger pipe and clamp the larger pipe down to work the new threads on the smaller pipe. Any suggestions are appreciated since I've never done this...
I did this. I bought a single square die, because it was easier to hold in a vice. Hex would be good too. I did not recognize the brand of the die. For this kind of thing, you don't need a top quality die.

I held the nipple, to turn, with a nice quality locking pliers.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of a "plumbing shop" doesn't have a 1/2" male adapter copper adapter? As long is this fitting does not show, the easiest things to use are the 2 male adapters and a length of copper pipe cut to fit.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Douglas

I know this thread is old and not sure what the expiration date is or the forum rules.

How did you finally resolve this? I have the exact problem. Using a 2 1/2" nipple, the Delta shower elbow sticks out past the finished tile wall 1/8" to 3/16. I might be able to crank it closer but afraid of messing up the brass drop ear screwd down. A 2 1/4" nipple would be perfect.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Douglas

I know this thread is old and not sure what the expiration date is or the forum rules.

How did you finally resolve this? I have the exact problem. Using a 2 1/2" nipple, the Delta shower elbow sticks out past the finished tile wall 1/8" to 3/16. I might be able to crank it closer but afraid of messing up the brass drop ear screwd down. A 2 1/4" nipple would be perfect.

For an 1/8" you might use clear caulking and hide the gap.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
For an 1/8" you might use clear caulking and hide the gap.

Hi Terry.
That would be my last hope.
I'm using a Delta shower elbow that has 7 or so female threads, appears to bottom out at 8/16-9/16. Is this typical of shower elbows or can they vary in depth?
Grasping for a solution.
I appreciate your help.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Examine how much thread is left inside the female end. If the nipple is about to bottom out on it, grind a little off the end of the nipple. Then you can run the nipple into a couple of iron female fittings extra snug to deform the threads just enough. The trick then is to be able to unthread them from the iron fitting unless there is enough unthreaded pipe on the nipple to grab with a pipe wrench, or you have an inside pipe wrench.

I did just that on my shower to connect the hand shower wall union that had a male end instead of a nipple. I also chased the thread a little using a file.

If you can get access to the screws holding the drop ear, maybe you could loosen them a little so that a shorter nipple with extra tape would work.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yep like post number 8 like fully sprinklered method as well but don't carry pipe dies any more or my vice all the time but certainly a good way to get nipple a wee bit shorter
BTW to OP a 1/4 inch will make up with tape 1/8 th on each end no prob

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Examine how much thread is left inside the female end. If the nipple is about to bottom out on it, grind a little off the end of the nipple. Then you can run the nipple into a couple of iron female fittings extra snug to deform the threads just enough. The trick then is to be able to unthread them from the iron fitting unless there is enough unthreaded pipe on the nipple to grab with a pipe wrench, or you have an inside pipe wrench.

I did just that on my shower to connect the hand shower wall union that had a male end instead of a nipple. I also chased the thread a little using a file.

If you can get access to the screws holding the drop ear, maybe you could loosen them a

If you can get access to the screws holding the drop ear, maybe you could loosen them a little so that a shorter nipple with extra tape would work.
yep like post number 8 like fully sprinklered method as well but dont carry pipe dies any more or my vice all the time but certainly a good way to get nipple a wee bit shorter

little so that a shorter nipple with extra tape would work.
Thanks LLigetfa.
Is grinding better than cutting? The nipple has plenty of space to grab in the center. Leary of loosening screws to drop ear as it is connected to PEX. Great ideas

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wha
Hi Terry.
That would be my last hope.
I'm using a Delta shower elbow that has 7 or so female threads, appears to bottom out at 8/16-9/16. Is this typical of shower elbows or can they vary in depth?
Grasping for a solution.
I appreciate your help.

What color is the shower ell? If its chrome, its going to be a lot easier to buy a different shower ell. The Hansgrohe (27458000 chrome or 27454822 brushed nickel) has the elbow separate from the cover.. so it fits a wider range of depths. They have brushed nickel too, but that generally isnt an exact match to Deltas Stainless.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
yep like post number 8 like fully sprinklered method as well but dont carry pipe dies any more or my vice all the time but certainly a good way to get nipple a wee bit shorter

Great ideas thank you.
I probably didn't understand your suggestion correctly.

Wouldn't tape hinder the nipple from entering deeper? Would plumbers silicone grease or pipe dope help threads go deeper?

Reach4

Reaction score
Great ideas thank you.

Wouldn't tape hinder the nipple from entering deeper? Would plumbers silicone grease or pipe dope help threads go deeper?
I thought the suggestion was to use a 2 inch nipple with lots of tape.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Great ideas thank you.

go 1/2 inch shorter with nipple with extra ptfe is one way . if long you can do what llgetfa said perhaps . i probebly stated wrong but you catching on to the tricks

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Wha

What color is the shower ell? If its chrome, its going to be a lot easier to buy a different shower ell. The Hansgrohe (27458000 chrome or 27454822 brushed nickel) has the elbow separate from the cover.. so it fits a wider range of depths. They have brushed nickel too, but that generally isnt an exact match to Deltas Stainless.

Hi Tuttle. I like where you are going.

It's brushed nickel that Delta now calls stainless. I don't have it cranked down all the way fearing I couldn't get nipple back out.

Attachments

• 16147319398008641780315229266083.jpg
    16147319398008641780315229266083.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 236

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
go 1/2 inch shorter with nipple with extra ptfe is one way . if long you can do what llgetfa said perhaps . i probebly stated wrong but you catching on to the tricks

Yes, I understand your thinking. Last part of this 3 month gut job and trying not to do too many stupid things.

You guys are terrific.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is grinding better than cutting?
It might be hard to be precise cutting with a hacksaw where you would need to grind or file off the burr afterwards. Grinding/filing should be easy.

You can make a die out of an iron fitting by grinding slots into it with a dremel tool and skinny disk. It is not anywhere as effective as a real die, but it will clean up threads and remove a small amount of brass material.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
I thought the suggestion was to use a 2 inch nipple with lots of tape.

Hi Reach, as always, thank you.
Longer is an alternative. My first thought, if possible, would be to with longer as to shorter. Shorter probably accomplishes as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks