How to make an in-between length of brass nipple?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
It might be hard to be precise cutting with a hacksaw where you would need to grind or file off the burr afterwards. Grinding/filing should be easy.

You can make a die out of an iron fitting by grinding slots into it with a dremel tool and skinny disk. It is not anywhere as effective as a real die, but it will clean up threads and remove a small amount of brass material.

Right off, using a die is a little over my head right now. I'm better at cutting and mauling.
But, great idea. My learning curve and bag of tricks is filling up.
Can't believe how many of you guys are chiming in.
Thank you!

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-14-NPT...on-Steel-for-Taper-Thread-Repair/291147905708

I would thread the die on first, and tighten. Then grind or file. When you remove the die, any burr gets removed.

Hi Reach
I'll need to find out how a die works
Would I just thread the die on 1/8" on each end? Place the hack saw blade against side of the die for a plumb cut?
Or
Just cut one side 1/4"?
I doubt this is a good method

What would you think is the minimum depth of insertion?

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Would a "close" nipple work? A 2 1/2" would appear to do the trick if it will bottom out a little more than the hex nipples.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'll need to find out how a die works
Would I just thread the die on 1/8" on each end? Place the hack saw blade against side of the die for a plumb cut?
Or
Just cut one side 1/4"?
I doubt this is a good method
A die is like a big nut but made for cutting or cleaning up (chasing) threads, and for NPT pipe threads, it is tapered. You would chuck the die into a vice, and turn the nipple with a curved locking pliers or a pipe wrench. I think a die made for cutting new threads might be better, but you can lengthen threads with a thread chaser usually.

Cutting back one end should be enough. You could carry the nipple and die over to the grinder, and carefully remove the end sticking out of the die. Or use a file. Or use that saw, but I used grinder and file.

What would you think is the minimum depth of insertion?
Insertion into what, the drop ear elbow or Delta part? I don't know. Try that 2 inch brass nipple, and find out. Into the die? Not sure what you are asking. The thread will go all of the way into the die I pointed to and stick out some.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
A die is like a big nut but made for cutting or cleaning up (chasing) threads, and for NPT pipe threads, it is tapered. You would chuck the die into a vice, and turn the nipple with a curved locking pliers or a pipe wrench. I think a die made for cutting new threads might be better, but you can lengthen threads with a thread chaser usually.

Cutting back one end should be enough. You could carry the nipple and die over to the grinder, and carefully remove the end sticking out of the die. Or use a file. Or use that saw, but I used grinder and file.

Insertion into what, the drop ear elbow or Delta part? I don't know. Try that 2 inch brass nipple, and find out. Into the die? Not sure what you are asking. The thread will go all of the way into the die I pointed to and stick out some.

Insertion into drop ear.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
I did find a Henny Penny 1/2" x 2 1/4" LG Hospital nipple?
Would that work in this instance or even compatible with a brass drop ear?

Reviewing, this is for a Delta 50560 SS supply elbow. 2 1/2" nipple is too long by 3/16" or so.
The gaskets are stackable and if I put 2 or 3 together it would work out well.
But, called I Delta and several other supply houses, all the BB stores and there is no part number for this odd shape gasket.
Delta along with other suppliers said to buy another elbow and use included gasket.
That would give me an expensive paperweight.

Reminds me of the US Army and cleaning rods for the Matty Mattel M16 rifle, one each.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you were to go the route of stacking washers.. may as well just make your own and maybe just from one piece of thicker rubber.

But. That nipple seems like it would work. I've never seen an off the shelf 2.25" nipple, but.. there it is. The threads appear to be tapered and look like NPT..

Reach4

Reaction score
When you make your own with some copper pipe and MIP adapters, what is the minimum length you can do?
copper-everbilt-copper-fittings-c604hd12-64_100.webp

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
If you were to go the route of stacking washers.. may as well just make your own and maybe just from one piece of thicker rubber.

But. That nipple seems like it would work. I've never seen an off the shelf 2.25" nipple, but.. there it is. The threads appear to be tapered and look like NPT..

Do you know what "LG" hospital pipe is? Looks to me like stainless or chrome galvanized.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you know what "LG" hospital pipe is? Looks to me like stainless or chrome galvanized.

I had never heard the term of Hospital pipe. I looked it up and found the same photo on amazon and a couple other vendors. If its stainless, I would install it, but if it were galvanized.. nah.

When you make your own with some copper pipe and MIP adapters, what is the minimum length you can do?
copper-everbilt-copper-fittings-c604hd12-64_100.webp
I know some people will install MIP x MIP nipples.. but im not a fan. Copper twists too easily. BUT.. If i were to Need to do it I would at least use Type L copper. I put together TWO 1/2" MIPs and they measure 2-1/8 .. so that is an option...

Another thing that I didnt think of til now is a nipple extender. You can put a shoulder nipple with a nipple extender on and come up with an odd length.. My last one on the shelf went out yesterday morning or I would measure it..

And how is this 3 pages for a shower supply elbow! Serisly!

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
I had never heard the term of Hospital pipe. I looked it up and found the same photo on amazon and a couple other vendors. If its stainless, I would install it, but if it were galvanized.. nah.

I know some people will install MIP x MIP nipples.. but im not a fan. Copper twists too easily. BUT.. If i were to Need to do it I would at least use Type L copper. I put together TWO 1/2" MIPs and they measure 2-1/8 .. so that is an option...

Another thing that I didnt think of til now is a nipple extender. You can put a shoulder nipple with a nipple extender on and come up win odd length.. My last one on the shelf went out yesterday morning or I would measure it..

And how is this 3 pages for a shower supply elbow! Serisly!

You are correct but from all the different answers received and arguments they produce, there is a need to be able to do this correctly.
I do appreciate your time and expertise.

I am now a wiser man.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks