1/2 " Brass Nipple - Slip or Sharkbite?

Users who are viewing this thread

LCF

Reaction score
I've done 1" steel pipe in the wall before.. it busted the seam on the pipe, but that was because it was 100yrs old and rusty.

Home Depot rents the tool. I bet if you called them, they would give you exact measurements of its radius.
I have no Home Depot's that rent in my state. I can just buy a threader on Amazon if I decide to go that route. Not sure yet

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That compression coupling will work But I wouldnt use it. I mewntioned threading it as well.
I think you are spinning your wheels , maybe you have a reason to not just make that hole bigger and gettr done. unscrew the riser or remove the valve and riser together

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no Home Depot's that rent in my state. I can just buy a threader on Amazon if I decide to go that route. Not sure yet
I would suspect that you have an old big hardware store that threads pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is your 1/2 inch brass pipe 0.840 inch OD? I think that would be close enough to solder a 3/4 inch copper fitting to. 3/4 inch copper pipe is 0.875 inch ID. I expect solder could make up the difference.

LCF

Reaction score
I got it all done today. Total pain in the ass and I had to open up a small section of the above wall with diamond lathe, plywood and more wood underneath, but I got it done. The new valve works great and everything is working again. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 20240203_153628.jpg
    20240203_153628.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 32

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
all them questions and hesitance to follow any advice , well how the hell did you do it LOL

LCF

Reaction score
all them questions and hesitance to follow any advice , well how the hell did you do it LOL
There was no hesitancy to follow advice. I was getting ideas from the advice on different ways to approach it. At first I tried to cut the brass nipple to slide a piece of 1/2" copper pipe inside to sweat a new male adapter onto it, but for some reason the 1/2" pipe wouldn't fit the inner diameter of the brass nipple. So then I had no choice but to open the wall at the shower elbow and run pex down to the valve. I was hoping to avoid it, but at least I didn't need to tear open the whole wall.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey thanks I was wondering how you did it. I guess that nipple I have is unusual ID i never checked another and old pipe was probebly thicker a true 1/2 inch inside . glad you got it done !

LCF

Reaction score
Hey thanks I was wondering how you did it. I guess that nipple I have is unusual ID i never checked another and old pipe was probebly thicker a true 1/2 inch inside . glad you got it done !
It was very very close to fitting inside the nipple. There was probably years of build up that shrunk the wall ID a bit and I decided to just move on. As usual I couldn't have done any of it without the help from this forum. Thanks very much everyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks