Help Removing Moen Part from Tub/Shower Valve (picture included)

Users who are viewing this thread

nuglas

Reaction score
Just to the left of the cold stop is what I assume to be a strainer. I already removed the brass plug to show the "strainer". How do you get this out? There is buildup that is constricting the flow of cold water. This is a Moen valve.

Thanks for any advice/insight.

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 719

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you sure it is a moen? and shower valves don't have strainers. It may be a balance spool?

How about a picture of the handles and the cartridge?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is more likely something like a Delta ScaldGuard and that "thing" is the balancing spool with the cap broken off. It is DEFINITELY NOT a Moen valve. Your task, if you should choose to accept it, is to use a hook of some type and pull that piece out of the valve body. It is probably stuck so you will have to rotate it first to break it loose. If it were NOT stuck, it would have come out when you removed its cap instead of breaking off of it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks