Help Identify old shower stem from the 50s

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ROCCO MORROTTO, Feb 13, 2021.

1. ROCCO MORROTTO

ROCCO MORROTTO New Member

Hey my name is Rocky, i have a leaky shower stem pulled it out and the washer/bushing at the end is torn and degraded. i need to replace or rebuild. problem is i have no idea what make the stem is. Has 12 splines and is roughly 5 7/8 long. As the title says, i need help to identify it. the house is from the early 50s and is block. the fixtures are set within the block so access is limited.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      83 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      89.2 KB
      Views:
  2. ROCCO MORROTTO

ROCCO MORROTTO New Member

to correct the original post. the stem wasn't leaking, when turned off water still came out of the shower head.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Can you post a picture of the handles?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You may not have to identify it. On the end opposite the handle is a washer. A new washer and a new seat may fix it right up.

The seat can often be removed by a "seat wrench" or a big Allen wrench of the right size if the hole is 6-sided.

A seat wrench fits many sizes of hex and square.

6. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder New Member

The pictures are really low res so I am struggling to be 100% but it sure looks like an old Crane/Repcal stem unit to me. Check the spline count. If it is 12 point, it is this Crane/Repcal.

upload_2021-2-14_7-38-36.png