Dry vent for toilet after additional drain wye

Users who are viewing this thread

MLC

Reaction score
Installing a new bathroom in an existing walk-out basement in California (UPC plus). In trying to trench as little as possible, can a 2" dry vent for a single toilet, wye off after another fixture (washer box, vented separately) has wyed into the 3" toilet drain? Or have I created an illegal wet vent in the process?

The 2" dry vent for the toilet would still be within five feet of its trap, but the 2" drain from the washer box would wye in before the wye for the vent. The 2" toilet vent would eventually tee into the washer box 2" vent.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
A picture would help a lot. The dry vent can not be horizontal in the floor (under the toilet's flood level).

If the dry vent joins the drain after the washer then you are correct, it is not a vent for the toilet and the washer connection is a wet vent.

Don't know California but a wet vent normally is a "bathroom group" and can not include a washer stand pipe/laundry tub.

Take a look at these pictures for some ideas: http://www.dli.mn.gov/CCLD/PDF/pe_list_wet_vent.pdf

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer can't wet vent a toilet in California.
Wet venting is only for bathroom groups. The toilet will need it's own vent, which can revent at 42" above the floor with the washer vent.

MLC

Reaction score
Here's a 2D and 3D representation attached.

I realize I can probably just swap the Washer Box drain and Toilet vent lines, but the pipes will be easier to run within the wall if I keep it as drawn.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Bathroom.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 516

Stuff

Reaction score
Thanks for the drawing. The bottom horizontal dry vent for the toilet is not proper and coming after the washer drain means it doesn't count as a vent.

Two possibilities I see, probably others can be more creative and correct me.

Option 1: Remove toilet dry vent and move the drain connection coming from WB to attach beyond lav (parallel it to toilet drain). Toilet then gets wet vented via lav. Should be OK under UPC if toilet drain is under 6'

Option 2: Loop toilet drain back to wall and join vertical dry vent there. Have WB drain tie in after vent. Might need a clean-out.

Assume tub is against wall so its vent is totally vertical.

Note I am not a plumber, but a fan of a good flush.

MLC

Reaction score
So, regardless of WB drain, the toilet dry vent can't have a horizontal section below the flood rim? It has to take off vertically from the drain, or can I roll the wye up a bit so it's slightly higher than the drain line?

Thanks for the replies!

Stuff

Reaction score
Some places might allow it but most codes state that a dry vent needs to be vertical until 6" above flood level of what it is venting. Then they usually state that 45º counts as vertical.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally I run the toilet at the end of the line if it's a groundwork. Is this a groundwork, or over a crawlspace?
So normally I would wye off toward the washer, then wye off for a vent on the toilet. A wye or combo angled at a 45 is still considered vertical. The toilet would drop into a 90 bend.
Or you can postion the line below a wall where a vent can be run and it is vertical.
The washer needs an 18" or taller standpipe. The trap is above the floor.

MLC

Reaction score
It's groundwork. I have to jack up existing concrete slab to trench, so I want to make the runs as short as possible.

Thanks for all the advice. I've referenced this forum many times, but it's my first time posting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks