Do I need to return my brand new toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

DoINeedaNewToilet

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a new DeerValley DV-1F52807 compact toilet online for my remodeled powder room. We were really excited about saving space, but I noticed something weird when I was inspecting it.

All the porcelain and everything looks like it's in good shape, except for a hole in the web between the bowl and trapway (photo attached). It doesn't look like those cracks are into the bowl or into the trapway, but I wasn't sure the purpose of the web and whether this hole is a likely problem. Any advice or comment would be super helpful.

If it's not a problem I'll have it installed. Otherwise I need to get the return process started to get moving on my schedule again.

Thank you!

IMG_20211017_152933236.jpg

deervalley-compact-toilet.jpg

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like it will affect the functionality of the bowl, but I'd be concerned why such a casting fault was made or how it got by the inspector. Doesn't inspire my confidence in the rest of the casting or the company.

John

EDIT: looking at the finished bowl online and how that area is ordinarily covered up, maybe the hole is a normal part of the casting procedure. Have you contacted the company?

DoINeedaNewToilet

Reaction score
It doesn't seem like it will affect the functionality of the bowl, but I'd be concerned why such a casting fault was made or how it got by the inspector. Doesn't inspire my confidence in the rest of the casting or the company.

John

EDIT: looking at the finished bowl online and how that area is ordinarily covered up, maybe the hole is a normal part of the casting procedure. Have you contacted the company?
Yes but I had to leave a message. I didn't get the warmest and fuzziest of feelings that I'll get a call back.

Reach4

Reaction score
Totally hidden when installed. It would not bother me.

DoINeedaNewToilet

Reaction score
Totally hidden when installed. It would not bother me.
Yeah, I'm not as worried about the cosmetics of it. I'm just not sure if it's going to affect the integrity of the bowl or trapway. I figured the cracks, if they're not just cosmetic, could creep into the beginning of the trapway pretty easily. The powder room is tucked away into a corner of the house, so I'm not super confident that if it were to fail, that I'd see it soon enough to avoid significant water damage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks