Disposal outlet/waste line height differential question

Users who are viewing this thread

indianajonesy

Reaction score
So I'm 90% done (probably a hopeful exaggeration...) with renovating my kitchen and the wife decides to tell me she'd like a disposal. We conveniently have an abandoned wall box with power there (probably from a prior disposal), so I tell her sure.

Now I'm getting ready to order a disposal and plan my plumbing and I realize that my waste outlet is 7" from bottom of sink to centerline of the waste pipe. I see that ISE has a compact model which has a 6" centerline of outlet height. I have a fair amount of room to run piping as the old sink was a double basin end outlet and we now have a large (and deep...oops) center outlet single bowl, so my question really is if this 1" differential is enough to prevent standing water in the disposal?

Moving the waste line lower is theoretically possible, but would require removal of the counter and several cabinets that I just finished installing, so not a great option.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you upload a pic?

Wives often do it, they make last minute 'change of mind'.
Cities often do it, they re-pave a street, then open it up to replace a rusty pipe.

indianajonesy

Reaction score
Can you upload a pic?

You can see a bit in this one (before I hung the sink):
IMG_20180917_154837.jpg

And a bit more in this one:
IMG_1454_1.jpg

I'll be over there later today and I'll grab a better one.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the drain is 1" lower than the outlet on the disposer you won't have standing water. A standard p-trap may not work, and it might need a reversing p-trap there.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might be replacing that 90 with a 45.

indianajonesy

Reaction score
You might be replacing that 90 with a 45.
Yeah, that was my thought as well. That J-bend is a Keeney reversible one, so should be minimal modifications otherwise...just a 45 and a disposal elbow into the trap. I'll pick up the disposal and give it a try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks