Dishwasher, Disposal and Single Basin Sink in Illinois

Users who are viewing this thread

Kowalsky

Reaction score
Question to you guys: do you know a way of transition from top of that 1-1/2 tailpiece to a 3/4 rubber hose? female threaded adapter with barb? have not seen anything like it on the web. any other pvc connectors/extensions/adapters/reducers?

Kowalsky

Reaction score
Yeah. As far as I can tell that is how illinois wants it done.
But the tailpiece is full of water after the DW finish its job. And the water does not level with bottom of wall drain. Not even after 24h. I just loosened the cap and of course the water leveled.
I can now remove the cap, put another branched tailpiece on top of that existing one and connect disposal DW inlet with that new top tailpiece with a 2-3 ft hose and clamps.
or
remove black disposal elbow and replace it with straigh and connect that straight to T with trap at the bottom and make pvc connection between top of that T and top of DW tailpiece....
Either way will form sort of wet vent and will give some air break so the water will level in that DW trap.

Attachments

• A1EE1F7D-7F1E-4A32-87D9-DEDBB7B521B1.jpeg
    A1EE1F7D-7F1E-4A32-87D9-DEDBB7B521B1.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 85

Kowalsky

Reaction score
After all my case is exactly the case of "the dishwasher in the island with no sink" so this setting should be fine, right?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you have now, isn't that what your local plumber told you to do in the first place? I don't see the problem with your current configuration. Your new proposed configuration is hooked to the disposal and illinois doesn't allow it so I'm not sure how that helps.

I'm sure the plumber you talked to does it all the time. Besides after all with any slip joint trap there will always be a submerged joint, I don't see how your pet peeve is a problem.

Kowalsky

Reaction score
What you have now, isn't that what your local plumber told you to do in the first place?
That is right, just that wet joint does not "feel" right :)
Your new proposed configuration is hooked to the disposal and illinois doesn't allow it so I'm not sure how that helps.
It is hooked to the disposal but only to allow air to empty that wet joint - No disposal discharge in that connection
I'm sure the plumber you talked to does it all the time. Besides after all with any slip joint trap there will always be a submerged joint, I don't see how your pet peeve is a problem.
Well, it is wet because no air is allowed like with normal receptor (ex sink) so it may be considered not vented properly. Other than that Im ok with what I have. It is not leaking:)

Kowalsky

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your input. I really appreciate all your precious time and knowledge. Thanks John for helping out. If possible I will bring more info after inspection just to let you know.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your input. I really appreciate all your precious time and knowledge. Thanks John for helping out. If possible I will bring more info after inspection just to let you know.
Yeah please do. I'm not really up on illinois plumbing code I have a book and have skimmed it, but not really taken any time to dig in. At some point I'd like to sit for the test in Illinois so it'd be nice to hear what he says. Maybe I'm not applying proper context with some other code sections.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just wondering what happened on inspection? around here I think its often no one looks at it. but I dont get it if you are required an airgap why would it pass?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just wondering what happened on inspection? around here I think its often no one looks at it. but I dont get it if you are required an airgap why would it pass?
Illinois doesn't require an air gap from what I could find. The section I going said to him the dishwasher to a vented trap.

Kowalsky

Reaction score
Some codes are not forced. Same thing happens often in electrical. The inspector simply tells you how it is supposed to be done but also says "just leave it like this, it's fine". Also, not all of inspectors understand physics, not all of them worked in plumbing/electric trade, for some it is just a 9-5 job after they got some training. They dont always know A to Z, sometimes for them A to K is what is sufficient. I remember one guy who was testing my emt tubing installation (electrical) by putting his body weight on it where the pipe enters the box. Who the hell does it and why? No such force is required for it to be safe and operational. Other time the other guy asked me why my outlets are not grounded after he told me to remove one outlet. He was looking for green wire while outlets were UL listed self grounding receptacles. I told him that at this moment this outlet is not grounded as it has been removed but once installed it will be. He kept asking why and why. This is when I realized that he does not even know the principle of grounding an instalation. He only knew that there has to be green wire, but he did not understand the rule.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some things like D/W airgaps in my area are hit and miss but in new construction especialy multi units like apts or a tract of homes I have never seen a home built without an airgap for D/W connection ( in my state). on custom remodel its common to delete the airgap. I always install an airgap, unless specifically instructed by the owner to not put one , I tell them why I think its required and if they dont care Ill install it at thier risk , call the code over kill whatever I dont care if they changed code here Id stop putting air gaps but untill that happens every house gets one also we connect it to the disposal. so if you dont care about codes why not just connect to the disposal?

Kowalsky

Reaction score
so if you dont care about codes why not just connect to the disposal?
Disposal is located far enough (far right of the DW) that the DW hose is kinda short (standard 6ft) - short enough to not to be able to form high loop. I bought 12ft extension and connected to the disposal but the DW was struggling....discharge water was slowly pouring although the extension was recommended as "optional OEM" for this model.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never seen waste pumped directly into a ptrap thats all sealed off . I thought a ptrap is for gravity drains not for pumped waste. seems to me the image I saw of a capped off tail piece looks real hokey /questionable nothing Ive seen befor but Im in a small world never looked up that code sure seems wrong though

Kowalsky

Reaction score
You know, when I wrote down my concerns here (same as yours about that water standing in a p trap) no one even raised a red flag. John said its ok - the only reason I say its ok is because if I was to hook up a DW in a remote island with no sink that is how it would look like. If you dont have a sink on the island you dont have a place to put airgap for your safety. But when we take physics in consideration (btw codes are written based on physics and public health issues) this is to be expected. For my own safety I am planning to "give it a bit of air" by connecting top of that tailpiece with disposal - here will not be any discharge cross contamination but it will let the water level with p trap.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never seen waste pumped directly into a ptrap thats all sealed off . I thought a ptrap is for gravity drains not for pumped waste. seems to me the image I saw of a capped off tail piece looks real hokey /questionable nothing Ive seen befor but Im in a small world never looked up that code sure seems wrong though
Ideally there would be no garbage disposal taking up all of the vertical space and the dishwasher would drain into the tailpiece. This is no different than that. The check valve on the dishwasher always closes and the hose is always full of water. In this case the "standpipe" or "receptacle" is sealed on top.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ideally there would be no garbage disposal taking up all of the vertical space and the dishwasher would drain into the tailpiece. This is no different than that. The check valve on the dishwasher always closes and the hose is always full of water. In this case the "standpipe" or "receptacle" is sealed on top.

I thought tail piece was capped on top but looks like an aav ? yea that might get passed

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought tail piece was capped on top but looks like an aav ? yea that might get passed
No it's capped. I'm saying what's the difference between a cap and draining into the tailpiece that's hooked to a sink? Either way the hose is full of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks