Can compression supply lines be reused?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kohinahi

Reaction score
Hi!
We had to pull out our half-bath vanity to replace the wood floor below it and I realized that the faucet has a permanent supply line which cannot be replaced.

I installed the faucet 7 years ago and am sure that the supply line has been reattached 2-3 times.

Is it ok to reuse a rubber gasket compression supply line? Can the rubber gasket be swapped out? If not, any solutions that might work to ensure that it does not fail?

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not my favorite thing with some of the newer homes. Supply stops that are combined. I normally replace a supply line if it's removed. I have also reused the stop and supply line at times because changing out the stop would be a bit worrisome on pipe like PEX from the wall. If you thread it up and it seals, then good I guess. There may also be a way to change out the rubber seal at the top. Do any of the other plumbers here have seals like that on their trucks?

cadet-pro-10.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Two years ago I won an amazing lawsuit involving a condo in Manhattan.

This crap connection gave up the ghost and caused over $550,000 worth of damages to a commercial art studio below the apartment

I asked for a $10,000 retainer to make a case against the management of the building and the moron who installed this and I guaranteed we would win the action

The management was negligent as to whom they allowed working on plumbing and the guy who did this installation obviously did not know the NYC plumbing code which listed which materials are allowed to be used on the potable water supply and PLASTIC is not approved

Once I sent my report to the insurance company and the law firm that hired me all hell broke loose.

The other side hired engineers plumbing and PE and tried to discredit my deposition BUT the code was quite clear what materials are permissible

Although I was paid this will take another year at least to get restitution for the damages

Attachments

• SPEEDY.jpg
    SPEEDY.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Kohinahi

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses!

I should have been a little clearer - the supply line coming out of the faucet is permanent. The compression join I am referring to will be made between the supply line coming out of the faucet and the angle stop in my wall. I need to change the rubber seal on the supply-line coming out of the faucet or find another solution.

Thanks.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
What brand faucet? If it's any of the bigger, better ones, you can probably call up their customer service and get new gaskets.

Kohinahi

Reaction score
I think it is not one of the major brands, but I can reach out to the manufacturer. I just wanted to confirm in this forum whether those seals can be replaced.

Thanks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We've got homes nearby with the push pull angles stop one piece on CPVC seems like a shark bite. been a few years since I seen one but I couldn't figure a way to get it to release. I cut it off and put a shark bite with MIP and screwed a standard IPS angle stop. generally I don't reuse supply lines only rarely may be its a week old

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks