Can a commerical toilet be replaced with Standard Residential Toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

JRehlander

Reaction score
We just moved into a new apartment in NYC. When we looked at the apartment, my girlfriend was put off by the commercial toilet and it sits pretty low. I'm 6'2" and its shin height, but we decided to take the apartment anyway because I said we could just replace the toilet with a standard tank toilet...but now I'm now in deep *&^% because I can't figure out how/if the commercial toilet piping can be adapted to standard residential toilet piping?

Attachments

• Toilet.jpg
    Toilet.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
The two things you need to be concerned is where the supply really is behind the tiles, and the distance of the flange from the wall. You need to know exactly where the floor flange is so you know you can find a toilet that will indeed sit on it.

You can always do your best to remove all the hardware until you get to the tiles, but in order to keep the tiles, you'll need to make sure there is space between the toilet tank and the elbow you will add on the wall's rough. If not, you'll have to tear off the tiles and create a lower rough for the supply line, probably from the shutoff that I can see that is lower.

I don't know how long you are staying there or what kind of rent you are paying, you should consider if this will be worthwhile financially.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do make tall bowls that work with Flushometers.
First, measure from the wall to the bolts that hold the bowl. That is your rough-in measurement.
You will need a bowl that works for that spacing.

To make that a tank style, you would need to supply a smaller supply for it.
What you have out of the wall is 1".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you get the property owner's permission to do this and if so, to DIY? Messing with rental property can become a real problem especially if there is damage to the property. Don't want to rain on your parade, but just a heads up on something that might really bite you in the behind.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let's just say you go ahead without landlord approval. You think you did a good job, but something happened and there is a leak. Water runs into the apartment below and does major damage to the building and/or belongings. You would be on the hook for all the damage. This is one reason most apartments and condo require a licensed plumber or electrician to perform all work and certainly require approval in advance. OK, I've added my 2 cents worth twice, so I'll back off and let you do what you will. Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks