Brand new renovated bathroom, tub isn’t draining

Users who are viewing this thread

ShortRock

Reaction score
We took a very small 1949 bathroom, gutted it and added three feet to it. We hired professionals for plumbing but it was a bumpy road with them. We go to use the tub for the first time and it wouldn’t drain. There was a MINUTE amount of water draining but my husband had to take a shop vac to the tub to get the water out it was draining so slowly.

Here’s what we/plumbers did:
-We completely capped and moved the vanity to the old tub location.
-The tub was moved into the new space created when we moved the wall. This meant adding a 3 ft section of drain pipe to the original.
- The plumbing failed inspection at first because the drain pipe didn’t angle towards the stack (stack was not moved from its original location).
- They “fixed” it but it still didn’t pass so we, aka my husband, did what the inspectors told us needed to be done.
-we did dump two pitchers of water down the tub after the instal with no draining problems. This was also done prior to new flooring being installed just to be sure.
- we kept the tub completely covered during reno, tile, grout, Sheetrock, etc.

The problem:
- The tub drain seems to be fine with small bursts, less than 30 sec of water.
- we filled the tub for our kids first bath in the tub. At the end it starts to drain for maybe 2 seconds then stops.
- you can depress the stopper and reingage it and it will drain for 2 seconds and stop again.
- the sink is on the same line and there is a vent (see pic) between the two u joints. If you fill the sink and drain it, it does fine but you do get some back flow into the tub. (My husband says this could be due to the T join instead of a Y used due to space issues)
-toilet has been functioning fine for the past 2 weeks, same with the sink.

Any ideas of what could be our problem?
My husband has tried to plunger the tub, hot water treatment, and is going to snake it tomorrow.

My questions are: can it be a clog? can it be the drain pipe still not angled toward the stack right? Is the vent not installed in the right place?

Sorry I don’t have a better pic but this is all I have showing the plumbing. Please say I don’t need to rip up my two week old marble floor...

Attachments

• 41D1BD37-4984-4374-B51F-7619997E350B.jpeg
    41D1BD37-4984-4374-B51F-7619997E350B.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 761

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain line needs a minimum of 1/4" per foot down slope for it to drain properly. If you can access that AAV (it's supposed to be accessible), try removing it momentarily and see if things drain.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Was the tub drain sealed while the rest of the construction was going on?

If you fill the sink fully, does it drain quickly when the stopper is opened?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some workmen tend to use the tub as a big garbage dump, especially nasty is if they drained their buckets if there was tile involved anywhere. Mortar can make a big mess of the drains!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pipe to the fitting that broke off for the lav should have been a combo or wye, not a santee with a short 90 like that. For wet venting the tub, it should have been 2" on the wet portion. The AAV needs access for replacement and for air intake.

I would guess that you have mortar in the drains. I would remove the overflow and snake from there.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I do an installation for a tub I use 2" no hub CI and place the trap as close to the tub outlet as possible and place a vent within 2 feet of the trap

Also as stated poor pitching if waste from a sink backs up into the tub .

I never understood why someone would use a waste line less then 2" as the savings is not worth the aggravation we have when trying to snake a line .

Also I never would use an AAV but that is my opinion

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks