How should a crooked tub be reset?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kdbugatl

Reaction score
Our drop-in acrylic tub was set incorrectly by the sub-it is crooked and it isnt level. In addition the mortar did not extend enough beyond the length of the tub esp in the front near the drain. The GC will have another sub pull it out and reset it. I just want to understand the process of resetting the tub. Will the new sub have to demo out all the existing mortar or will he scrape it and lay new mortar on top and to sides whether there isnt even coverage? I know the tile on the tub deck will have to be redone. Since there is 6" or more tub deck on all sides and ends, should the backsplash and adjacent pony wall tile be OK? I do not know if the first sub put a plastic sheet between mortar and tub so I dont know the chances if the tub will be damaged on pull out. I hope not as it will take 10 days to get a new tub in if damaged, and this job has already been going on close to 2 months. We are supposed to go on vacation with out of state family members next month.

One other question-new tubs have a built-in slope to drain-correct? When I asked the original sub about the tub not being level, he said it was OK because it sloped to drain. However, with built-in slope, the tub lip should be level both on the ends and sides-correct? He wasnt back in the house until 5 days after he set it. It was 2 weeks before the PM came in for a look and agreed it needed to be pulled out. All this happened while my husband was out of town 10 days; they were supposed to have tub in before he left. When my husband came back, he realized it was crooked as well as not being level. The sub foreman had done good work on other tiling, framing, and plumbing work, but he must have rushed on setting the tub-now that I think back I dont think he had the rest of his crew there that day-think he missed up he set the tub in by himself. At least the GC will make it right, but what is the process to get it done right with the least amount of work that has to be redone?

Thanks.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I would, however, recommend reading your manual to inform your discussions with your contractor.

I would let them take it out however they deem best, but would be sure to check the tub over before it goes back in. If they beak the tub in the process, they should replace it.

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber. I have set tubs and the level part of the tub is more for the surrounding walls and especially tile. The tub does have slope built in and you level the flange.
Have they already tiled the walls around the tub? If so and they tear it out depending on what the put behind it they might compromise the waterproofing of the walls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks