Basement Rough-In Critique

Users who are viewing this thread

saffron98

Reaction score
Let me know your thoughts on on this basement in slab rough in.
Total run from toilet flange to SDR pipe at garage entrance is 34'
Plumbed in 2" and 4"
1/8" Pitch on 4" Pipe
1/4"+ Pitch on 2" Pipe

Last edited by a moderator:

Dgeist

Reaction score
Hi. Do you know what code you're trying to meet? it might change the answers. I'm, not a plumber, just DIYer, but here's what I see:

- You might need a clean-out on the line from the second floor bath based on the directional change. Ask the AHJ.
- It looks like you have a sealed sump pit. you might want to plumb in a vent for it to avoid straining the seal when it operates.
- Vents should be rolled at 45 degrees from the horizontal and stay at least that pitch until they're above the spill line of all the served fixtures (i.e. can't go horizontal till around 42" up). If you can get them near the walls, you can "cheat" normal clearances with gaps behind tubs, notching the bottom plates of your 2x walls, etc.

I'm dealing with similar questions in my basement remodel and have found that keeping the drain lines near usable wall cavities makes getting proper venting in place MUCH easier. Do you have any planned partition walls that you can leverage to get your vents up and over?

Dan

saffron98

Reaction score
Hi. Do you know what code you're trying to meet? it might change the answers. I'm, not a plumber, just DIYer, but here's what I see:

- You might need a clean-out on the line from the second floor bath based on the directional change. Ask the AHJ.
- It looks like you have a sealed sump pit. you might want to plumb in a vent for it to avoid straining the seal when it operates.
- Vents should be rolled at 45 degrees from the horizontal and stay at least that pitch until they're above the spill line of all the served fixtures (i.e. can't go horizontal till around 42" up). If you can get them near the walls, you can "cheat" normal clearances with gaps behind tubs, notching the bottom plates of your 2x walls, etc.

I'm dealing with similar questions in my basement remodel and have found that keeping the drain lines near usable wall cavities makes getting proper venting in place MUCH easier. Do you have any planned partition walls that you can leverage to get your vents up and over?

Dan

I am trying to meet New York state plumbing code (IPC). Yes, the line from the 2nd floor bath will need a clean out installed.

Does the shower need a dedicated vent or is the sink wet vent enough to vent the entire group? I understand there are strict requirements in terms of distance from the fixtures to the wet vent.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower needs it's own vent. I would like to see the shower line go to the wall where you can place the vent vertical and they wye or 90 back for the trap. That removes the flat vent and gives you a legal vertical vent.

Most places let you have up to three toilets on 3" and it gets bumped to 4" for the fourth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks