American Standard Ovation 48" curved shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
American Standard has a shower kit that fits a 48" space that comes as a curved pan and a three panel wall set. I was helping my sister install one in a rental she has, replacing the aged and leaking shower that come with the modular home. Pretty crazy stuff you find in old modulars.

shower-mardini-09.jpg

The completed install before the doors went in. That's cardboard laying on the pan so we wouldn't scratch it while working on it.

shower-mardini-01.jpg

My brother-in-law, Omar Mardini installing some backing for the back wall panel.

shower-mardini-02.jpg

Check out the flimsy shower head that we removed and tossed.

shower-mardini-03.jpg

The new shower valve got PEX and copper, which was supplied by the old polybutylene piping. Those are PB by PEX Sharkbites there for the different sizing of the two pipes. The gray side of the coupling is for the PB.

shower-mardini-04.jpg

A new Delta R10000-UN shower rough valve with PEX run to it. The framing is set up spaced for the valve and for gluing the panels on.

shower-mardini-05.jpg

The pan drops down and needs shimming and fast setting mortar mix. Not the slow stuff, the quick setting stuff. As per my instructions from decades ago, small piles of mortar that will squish out and away to conform to the pan. Make sure you mark the walls for level before you commit do dropping and installing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
shower-mardini-06.jpg

The old shower had been built up on a platform so that stepping out was like stepping down stairs. Yikes!
The fittings were all wrong too. New fittings were installed with the proper bends.

shower-mardini-07.jpg

Allison and her husband Omar, my helpers for the day.

shower-mardini-08.jpg

shower-mardini-10.jpg

Delta Lahara trim which comes with a cartridge for the finale.

Just a note about this shower, the panels are made of very thin material. I've never worked with this kit before, so it was a bit of a challenge going through the instructions and the second guessing and the worry. It does look nice, but there are other kits that I feel are more solid.
For some reason finding much assortment in the Seattle area right now is challenging.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks