Search results

1. Bassman

Mis-Reading the Code

I'm looking at the CA Plumbing code and it says: 706.1 "Changes in direction of drainage piping shall be made by appropriate use of approved fittings and shall be of the angles presented by a one-sixteenth (1/16) bend, one-eighth (1/8) bend, or one-sixth (1/6) bend, or other approved...
  2. Bassman

Drain pipes need replacing

I've been having problems with my drain system forever. The reason is that the grey water in my house doesn't run downhill like it should. In this photo you'll see what I have. For this run to be level, the cleanout end would need to come up at least half an inch. I'm thinking the entire thing...
  3. Bassman

Adding switched receptacle

I have a switched duplex receptacle that has a black and white wire connected to it. It seems that if I want to add another switched receptacle across the room, all I would need to do is connect another run of 2-wire to this receptacle and the 2nd would be switched as well. Is this the correct...
  4. Bassman

Vent hood nightmare, please help!

Okay, so I have about 12 inches of 7" round coming down from the roof. Then it's another foot to the top of the cabinet, then 20 inches down to the motor which has a 3x14 duct opening. I just spend another wasted day trying to make a nice connection using 3x14 duct up to a transition at the top...
  5. Bassman

Cable connectors necessary?

I'm installing under cabinet lights in the kitchen. Simple flat (approx. 1 1/8") flourescents. One of the fixtures has to be fed from one down the line via a loop of 14/2 in the wall. The little connectors (mini Romex clamps) provided for the fixture can't accomodate two 14/2 cables, so what...
  6. Bassman

Box extension

I have a box in the wall under my sink that's just a junction box, no device. The problem is that through bad planning the box got buried very deep into the wall so I need to extend it so I can cover it. I'm talking 2 inches from the inside of the cabinet to the edge of the plastic single box...
  7. Bassman

Surface mounted box

I have to have a surface mounted junction box over a set of cabinets. Besides handy boxes or outdoor boxes, are there any others that would work? The box is visible only for tall people and certain angles. There are 3 14/2 cables that need to be clamped into the box from the rear. Thanks.
  8. Bassman

Box capacity exceeded, need advice

Just when everything was going so well... Over the range I have installed a 21 cu. inch adjustable Carlon box. There are four pieces of 14/2 that get tied together and one 12/2 that is to be wired to the single receptacle for the range hood. That exceeds the capacity of the box if I figure...
  9. Bassman

Need flooring advice FAST

I'm putting down some plywood over the existing 1x6 subfloor in my kitchen. Should I be trying to put all the long edges along the joists? Does it matter? We'll be installing sheet flooring over it. The room is 8x13 with the "alley" being down the center of the 13" length and about 4 feet wide...
  10. Bassman

Gas line question

I have 3/4" pipe coming up through the floor to my range. Is it okay to transition to 1/2" for a couple of feet to re-position the shutoff valve? Thanks.
  11. Bassman

Thermostat: too simple a concept-a sad tale

Forgive me, I have failed in the most menial and basic DIY jobs. The 55 yr. old thermostat went into the dumpster a few weeks ago. I bought what I thought would work from L**** and tried to install it. I have a very simple floor furnace: you put the wires together, the thing lights up and...
  12. Bassman

J-box location

I need to install a junction box and my ideal location is right under the beam in the photo. The cabinets come to the lower double plate (96") so the box would have to go in that gap. Question: is it okay to chisel out to install the box? It would only be about 3/4 " out of each 2x6. The...
  13. Bassman

Plumbers rule, pass the Advil

I just have to tip my hat to all the plumbers who I can't afford to pay to work on my house. I spent a few hours in my sub-20" crawl space reworking some copper plumbing for my kitchen remodel. I feel like I've been dragged behind a bus. My buddy the plumber who helped with the more complicated...
  14. Bassman

AC/DC?

Does the transformer on a low voltage lighting system, such as a monorail, put out AC or DC. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
  15. Bassman

Under cabinet fixture positioning tips

I'd like to mount some undercabinet fixtures toward the forward edge of the cab. Am I correct in assuming the way to do this is to provide some sort of chase between the wall and the fixture for the NM to run in?
  16. Bassman

Multiple shutoffs under sink?

It's been suggested to me to have two separate hot and cold shutoffs under the kitchen sink: one each for hot and cold sink, DW and water filter. Is this better than two valves with dual outlets? Thanks for any opinions. Neil
  17. Bassman

Framing question

I just gutted my kitchen and want to know why some of the blocking between the studs is installed at an angle and not straight across? Like this |/|\| only not such a large angle, maybe 25-30 degrees or so. Is it easier to nail that way, or is it stronger? Thanks, Neil
  18. Bassman

Valve on water heater

I'm going to be replacing the inlet valve on my water heater along with the heater. The valve thats there is corroded to the point where I can't shut it off. It looks like a big gate valve. Is there any specific kind of valve to use or one that's less susceptible to corrosion? Thanks Neil
  19. Bassman

Walls made of nothing!

I am gutting my kitchen and in the process discovered that my outside wall is nothing but studs with clapboard nailed to it. No sheathing. Nada. In the interest of strengthening what I can without re-siding the entire front of the house (the kitchen portion is only 8 ft. wide) what do you think...
  20. Bassman

DIY gas line work

Well, I knew I could re-route my gas line by myself but I have an adult music student who is a plumber and we agreed to exchange music lessons for plumbing help. So, we moved my range across the kitchen and did the gas plumbing. I learned a few things: -even a guy who has been plumbing for 35...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks