Multiple shutoffs under sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
It's been suggested to me to have two separate hot and cold shutoffs under the kitchen sink: one each for hot and cold sink, DW and water filter. Is this better than two valves with dual outlets? Thanks for any opinions.
Neil

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
If the DW developed a leak and needed time for repair or to order a part, having dual shutoffs would leave the sink still useable without having to block the DW line some other way.

legend-double-stops.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

It is "better" but can be a nuisance if by so doing the handles wind up in such a way as to make them difficult to operate. And I hate to try to operate valve handles that are "sideways" as most 2 handle/double valves are.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since all of the uses connected under the sink are low-volume, then the use of Tees or dual outlet valves poses no problems. So far, I have not seen a ball-valve type dual valve, so this is one vote for putting in multiple valves. I would probably do this if replumbing my kitchen from scratch. I would put approriate tees inside the wall, and provide 4 separate sturdy stuboout, and use the brasscraft 1/4 turn ball valves. I would stub them a reasonable distance apart to allow for installation/maintenance.

This may be overkill, and may lead to a bigger tangle of supply lines under the sink. All in all, it is not an issue to lose a lot of sleep over.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I had my kitchen remodeled, I had them put in 5 ball valves and a hammer arrestor: hot and cold for the sink faucet, one cold for a filter at the sink, one cold for the frig, and one hot for the DW.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
hj said:
It is "better" but can be a nuisance if by so doing the handles wind up in such a way as to make them difficult to operate. And I hate to try to operate valve handles that are "sideways" as most 2 handle/double valves are.

A plumber buddy of mine said to put them at 16 and 20 inches which seems like plenty of separation for 1/4 turn valves.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I use two dual outlet angle stops to keep things tidy and it means fewer compression joints to leak. It also means no need for Tees. If the dishwasher leaks, or the icemaker fails I can live without the kithcen faucet for a while.

The only challenges are the price and how you position them. I bought my ball dual oultet angle stops from Lowes and they cost more than the single outlet versions.

Two compression joint ball angle stops thereby replaced my old set-up comprising three gate angle stops, a saddle valve and a Tee. There were six compression joints on the old-setup and one had started to leak.

Now if my original setup had sweated Ts on the hot and cold water supply I would have replaced with four seperate single outlet ball angle stops, but it all depends on what you are working with. I did not want to sweat in the confined space of my kitchen cabinet. Doing that would have made me Grumpy. As would installing ball valves instead of angle stops.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When I had mine done, I opted for soldered in valves...too much possibility of knocking things with compression fittings for me there...other places, no problem.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend having separate shutoffs for the DW and faucet. Consider that if your DW springs a leak and you need to replace it, it may be at least several days until you can buy and install/have installed a new one. I personally would find not having a kitchen faucet working to be a major inconvenience.

I too would vote for a sweated fitting if I were doing it from scratch. Not sure why folks are so skittish about soldering inside a cabinet.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
My sink is in a corner cabinet, so there was actually a fair amount of room, the the plumber was small:) . The counters weren't on, either, so the light and claustrophobia was okay.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always stub out four times.

2- hots
2- colds

Each with it's own compression shutoff.

Using a torch in a cabinet doesn't make sense to me.
It's much easier to replace compression shutoffs at a later date.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Do the shut offs have to be under the sink? In my case the valves could go right under the floor in the fairly low basement celing. It is also easy to get to, considering all the crap that gets stuffed under there by my other 1/2.:D

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Terry said:
I always stub out four times.

2- hots
2- colds
Each with it's own compression shutoff.
Using a torch in a cabinet doesn't make sense to me.
It's much easier to replace compression shutoffs at a later date.

I have no walls in my kitchen at present, so I can solder to my heart's content. 4 shutoffs it is. I've uses compression shutoffs under sinks with no problems before too.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
tjbaudio said:
Do the shut offs have to be under the sink? In my case the valves could go right under the floor in the fairly low basement celing. It is also easy to get to, considering all the crap that gets stuffed under there by my other 1/2.:D

Yes they should be at the fixture. If something ever happened would you want to go hunt for the valves, or just reach under and shut them off.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
patrick88 said:
Yes they should be at the fixture. If something ever happened would you want to go hunt for the valves, or just reach under and shut them off.
That was my point about all the CRAP she puts under there! I guess I could put a valve in both places. One way or another it gets turned off!

At least she prefers Linux to Windows!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
That was my point about all the CRAP she puts under there! I guess I could put a valve in both places. One way or another it gets turned off!

I would also put the ones in my basement just in case you need them I have valves in my basement for my kitchen sink. I have them at the sink also. It makes things easy for plumbing upgrades.

At least she prefers Linux to Windows!

You married a very smart women.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks