Cable connectors necessary?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Bassman, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Bassman

Bassman DIY Member

I'm installing under cabinet lights in the kitchen. Simple flat (approx. 1 1/8") flourescents. One of the fixtures has to be fed from one down the line via a loop of 14/2 in the wall. The little connectors (mini Romex clamps) provided for the fixture can't accomodate two 14/2 cables, so what is commonly done? Since the fixture will be flush with the backsplash, my inclination is to leave it off. Suggestions? Thanks.
    Neil
  2. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Get a second connector. They're a bit hard to find, but they're out there...

The fixture ought to have more than one knockout - if not, drill a 2nd hole.

Use a proper step-bit, to get a smooth hole.
  4. Bassman

Bassman DIY Member

Thanks guys. It never occurred to me to just make the hole bigger and put a proper size connector in. I only needed one right now so I just filed the hole bigger and inserted a standard Romex clamp. When the backsplash gets tiled, it looks like those plastic snap-in clamps are the ticket.
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Is the junction of the fixture large enough to accept all these wires?
  6. Bassman

Bassman DIY Member

By "junction" do you mean the interior space of the fixture? The fixtures I bought all have extra leads capped off inside for extending to another fixture. Everything seems to fit.
  7. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

He has two cables entering the fixture... Without actually reading the specs on the fixture, I'm gonna say he's probably fine...