Plumbers rule, pass the Advil

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I just have to tip my hat to all the plumbers who I can't afford to pay to work on my house. I spent a few hours in my sub-20" crawl space reworking some copper plumbing for my kitchen remodel. I feel like I've been dragged behind a bus. My buddy the plumber who helped with the more complicated DWV stuff (all above ground) wouldn't do it. He said, " I'm too old, too fat and you can't afford me."

Anyway, the rough-in is done and I'll leave the cleanup of the other amateur-hour plumbing under the house for another day. Where's that Advil?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
wait untill tuesday

after having spent whole days in tight crawl spaces...

usually you really dont get to feel the true aches

and pains untill about two days have passed...

mostly its the feeling like you have been doing
about a thousand sit-ups or "crunches"

usually I will go to a chiropractor just to get everything
straightend out again after a mean one.

cross your fingers and hope you dont have any leaks

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When I bid jobs with crawl spaces I add in $80 for a massage. I the bad part is I put it down as 1 hour massage on the bid, I don’t try to hide that that’s what it’s for.

I don’t know why they only leave 18†where I’m at for crawl spaces. By the time they put the HVAC in you end up having to dig under it to get around. I end up tying some rope to my tools and pipes and pulling them in.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
When I'm The Plumbing Zar

All crawlers will be min. 36". Each must have a smooth concrete slab.

Explosion proof lites 12' on center, with switch. at access door.

A good quality, padded creeper, is to be left at door.

Now call George , and vote for TOOL :D

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Being an old DIYer from way back, when I built my current house back in 1977, I built it 36" high (below floor joists) and well-lighted (with a light switch at the crawlspace door). I didn't pave it, but it is clean, soft sand, with absolutely nothing on it throughout the entire crawlspace. Whenever I need to do any plumbing or electrical under there, it is much easier.
The owner of the pest control company that does our annual inspections says that his guys "fight" over who gets to do our house vs. any of those with low crawlspaces. LOL
You have my vote tool!
Mike

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
after having spent whole days in tight crawl spaces...

usually you really dont get to feel the true aches

and pains untill about two days have passed...

mostly its the feeling like you have been doing
about a thousand sit-ups or "crunches"

cross your fingers and hope you dont have any leaks

Oh, man, I hear ya. We did electrical a few weeks ago and I spent two days under the house. I was sore for a week, at least.
Don't need to cross my fingers, I do it correctly the first time! I turned the water on and spent some quality relaxation time on my back looking at the joints. My cat likes to join me under there, but not when the torch is lit.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
toolaholic said:
All crawlers will be min. 36". Each must have a smooth concrete slab.

When I'm king, all homes will have full basements with the wiring and plumbing easily accessed through the ceiling. Bikini girls handing me tools......

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
One nice thing about living in WI is that most houses have a full basement. Of course I go and buy a house with a 1/2 basement. Which was fine, till I had to redo the heat ducts and add a laundry room on the 1/2 with a crawl space:rolleyes:

Next house will have a full basement. Oh and whats with people drywalling the ceiling down stairs? IF I finish any thing off in a basement it will have a drop ceiling!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks