Box extension

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have a box in the wall under my sink that's just a junction box, no device. The problem is that through bad planning the box got buried very deep into the wall so I need to extend it so I can cover it. I'm talking 2 inches from the inside of the cabinet to the edge of the plastic single box. Are there commercially available extenders that deep? Can I make one? Thanks.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I know about those but it's still going to be short by over 3/8". I found some stackable ones at www.receptxtenders.com. Definitely the ticket and my punishment will be paying 7.50 to ship $3 worth of plastic.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My local HD has a variety of the extender rings normally instock. They may not have the box extender.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with a box extender and just get really long screws. Or go half and half. Buy a standard box extender and then use long screws.

Think outside the box.

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While I'm not certain, it is my understanding that the box must extend past any combustible components. If the box was going through the back of a wood or composite cabinet, that would be a technical violation. Any arcing might ignite the cabinet. The extenders are cheap...and solve the problem.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the wall material is combustible, the box must be flush with or project out from the surface.

If the wall is non-combustible, it cannot be any further back into the wall than ¼".

2005 NEC 314.20.

sbrn33

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.scottelectric.net
It's called a handy box extension ring. It will fit right on the existing box and make every thing safe and up to code. The only hard part is that you will probably have to use a ground clip to ground it. They are ussaly only an inch and a half so you might still have to use the Arlington extension but a least it will be safe.
To the guy who said "just use longer screws" shame on you. Please never give electrical advice again, and please-please don't ever do any electrical work as you are a hack.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sbrn33,

I should have asked what his wall material was made out of. If his walls are made of drywall it isn't that out of the question to use a longer screw to hold a plate onto a box.

Tom

KD

Reaction score
2 inch thick drywall? It is OK to use two 1.5 inch extension boxes and have the box stick out past flush with the cabinet wall.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
It's not 2" drywall. We had to shear the wall with 3/4 ply, then 1/2 drywall, then a cabinet back. Bad planning. Every other box on that wall I remembered to install adjustable boxes. This one just got lost in the shuffle.

Sbrn33--Can I put that handy box extension onto the plastic box and then another ring if needed? Grounding with a clip is no problem, I have some of those. If I can just keep stacking extensions my problem is solved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks