Surface mounted box

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Bassman, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Bassman

Bassman DIY Member

I have to have a surface mounted junction box over a set of cabinets. Besides handy boxes or outdoor boxes, are there any others that would work? The box is visible only for tall people and certain angles. There are 3 14/2 cables that need to be clamped into the box from the rear. Thanks.
  2. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

A 4" square box w/a blank cover will give more room than a handy box.

Don't forget to ground it.
  3. BrianJohn

BrianJohn DIY Senior Member

4. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

I once mounted one on the top of the cabinet back against the wall behind the cabinet. It won't be visible unless someone is taller than the cabinet. If the wire is coming from the wall it is pretty easy to put an old-work box in the wall.
  5. Bassman

Bassman DIY Member

The wires needed to come out, and now do, between those double plates right below the beam. It's about 9'4"" high. I didn't think the inspector would have approved hogging out for a box just there so I opted for a surface mounted box but didn't think through the appearance factor. Anyway, it's done. My wife says she'll put one of her ornamental baskets on top of the cabinet in front of the box. Problem solved!
    [​IMG]