Adding switched receptacle

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have a switched duplex receptacle that has a black and white wire connected to it. It seems that if I want to add another switched receptacle across the room, all I would need to do is connect another run of 2-wire to this receptacle and the 2nd would be switched as well. Is this the correct way to do it? Thanks for your help.
Neil

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That would be one way to do it. It depends on where the switch is in relation to the currently switched receptacle whether it is easier to run it from the switch or the receptacle.

Most of the time, half of the receptacle is switched, and the other half is powered constantly, but it doesn't have to be done that way - both could be switched. If they are separate, then one or both of the tabs would be broken so each could be controlled independently.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
It'll be much easier to run from the existing receptacle. If I get this right, the black wire I have now is part of the switch loop so I can't have one outlet hot and one switched, but that's okay.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, if both of the tabs are intact, and there's only black/white (and ground, I assume), then there's only the switched power available there. You'd need at least three wires there to have one always hot. If they used that box as a junction, there might be a hot burried in the back of the box you could use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks