When is a 2 stage pressure reducing valve required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rileydog123

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a house with a PRV that Im told is the cause of recent low pressure. The PRV was installed shortly after I purchased the house in 2010.

I am also told that I have to install a 2 stage prv instead of a single stage. At a higher cost of course.

I already have an expansion tank on the water heater, if at all relavent.

I am not finding much info on when a 2 stage is required. Any info on this?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Different designs have a maximum pressure across them. When you exceed that, they don't work, or will limit how much they drop the pressure. In that case, you may need to reduce the pressure in stages.

To know if you need to do that, you must first know what your peak pressure is, then what you want the outlet to be, then, examine the specs of the valve(s) you select. Some can handle a larger drop than others. No idea if that high pressure will affect their overall life.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Usually over 100 PSI of differential pressure needs to be stair stepped down with two PRVs. Like incoming is say 200 PSI, the first prv reduces it to 125 PSI and the second takes it from 125 to the 50 the house needs.

Rileydog123

Reaction score
I had the water company measure the pressure they are delivering at the box. Its 48 PSI. Which is higher than the 30 PSI they said they are required to deliver. Both of those numbers seem low to me. What is “normal”?

Rileydog123

Reaction score
Well the water pressure in the house seemed lower than usual. A plumber came out and told me the PRV is bad. And that it needs to be a 2 stage. The 2 stage seemed odd to me, (plus more $$$) so I didnt agree to have it replaced that day.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do get a garden hose thread (GHT) pressure gauge. Under $20 and sometimes under $10. Then you will know, and will not have to use fuzzy terms like low.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I lived in the middle east for awhile, we had water delivered to a tank on the roof. The pressure in the house was entirely via gravity (about 0.43# of pressure increase per foot it had to fall. That's what I call low pressure. But, it worked. Filled the toilets, ran the sinks, the showers were a bit anemic, but you could get the soap out of your hair, but it took awhile. IMHO, more is nice, but not necessary. 48psi is not bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks