What's with 14" rough in toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Brogdon

Reaction score
Hi All -

I'm remodeling a bathroom. The plumber roughed in the toilet drain at 14-1/2" from finished wall - not from the studs already potentially creating more space than intended.

The tile floor is in.

I ordered a Cadet Pro 14" rough-in from Build.com. Set it in place and the back of the tank is 2" off the wall.

I returned that bowl and tank. They sent me a replacement. Exactly the same thing - 2" off the wall.

I got mad.

I went to our local "we have everything" hardware store and bought a Mansfield toilet that clearly states 14" rough in on the unopened box.

Opened the box. Set it in place. And the back of the tank is 2" from the wall.

Yes - I have set all three toilets correctly over the drain pipe. I have not put toilet flange in yet because I have feared - and it appears I am right - that I am going to have to take a diamond wheel to the tile and try to install an offset flange.

What is going on with 14" roughed-in toilets?

Am I missing something? I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Thanks,

Tim

Reach4

Reaction score
You are measuring from the center of the closet flange to the wall to get your 14 inches, right?

Many 14 inch toilets have the same base as the 12, but have a deeper (toward the wall) tank to fill the space.

Toto and Kohler have toilets that have an adapter to let the same toilet work with 10, 12, or 14. Those at 14 inches would not extend farther into the room than the 12 inch, unlike those toilets that have the extra deep tank.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The plumber may have had an issue with a joist being in the way, so he selected to install the flange at 14" rather than 12", which is the more common location. The 1/2" was for the typical drywall that would go on the studs, to get you to 14" from the actual wall panel.

Most all toilets have some space behind the tank to the wall. To me, it seems 2" is too much. As was mentioned, are you sure you're measuring the rough-in properly? It's from the finished wall to the mounting bolt . THat tank to wall gap can vary from about 3/4" to nearly that 2", depending on the brand and model. Most of the Toto toilets that utilize their Unifit adapter have a nominal 3/4" behind them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here was a toilet set on a 13.5" rough , the tank was leaning on the wall.

crane-toilet-14-rough-02.jpg

crane-toilet-14-rough-01.jpg

As many toilets that I have replaced, set and installed, this was the first that wouldn't stand upright on it's own. It needed to be leaning on something. That huge tank way off to the side.

Most toilets that are a replacement now are made for a 12" rough, measured from the center of the drain to the wall where the tank would be. We don't count the floor molding.
Often a new 14" toilet is based on a 12" bowl and a thicker tank to fill more of the void. New toilets don't count on leaning on the wall though for support. It's normal that there is some space back there.
TOTO does make some of theirs with a way do adjust the rough at 2" increments. 10", 12" standard and 14".

ms964-terrylove-03.jpg

TOTO Soiree that can be set with the right adapter for 10", 12" or 14".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks