What happens if the flange knockout goes down the pipe??

Do I flush it or save the cap before it falls into the sewer?

• Flush It

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Save it!

• Something else

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

tsos93

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in the city and I'm remodeling my upstairs bathroom. My flange knockout cap accidentally went down the 4in ASB pipe. How serious of an issue is this? What do I need to do to get it out? I've gotten some mixed answers. I had a plumber come and he scoped it out and found it to be about 1.5ft from the drop into our sewer line. He wanted to open up the sewer pipe and pull it out before it drops down. He said if I don't do so it may cause a ton of issues and require me to drill into the concrete crawlspace and cost thousands... but I also had another plumber to tell me that I could just flush it out and into the city sewer.

What do I do?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you need to get it out. If you're really lucky, it might flush its way through. This is where an endoscopic camera might come in really handy to locate it, and then maybe use some grippers to snatch it.

I'm pretty sure active plumbers have had this happen to them, and they'll have a better idea on what and how to handle this situation.

tsos93

Reaction score
I think you need to get it out. If you're really lucky, it might flush its way through. This is where an endoscopic camera might come in really handy to locate it, and then maybe use some grippers to snatch it.

I'm pretty sure active plumbers have had this happen to them, and they'll have a better idea on what and how to handle this situation.
Thank you. Do you think it’ll pose an issue if it drops down into our sewer line? The cap is sitting right above the 90 degree drop into the sewer beneath the crawl space.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks