What are these two pieces of metal for under my bathtub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alecstar

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this site. I need some help. I just bought an American Standard Solar enameled steel tub. It arrived today and unfortunately was damaged. I have ordered a new one but in the meantime can anybody tell me what these two pieces of metal (and somewhat flimsy at that) are for??? There is one on each side of the tub on the drain end. Thank you.

IMG_2031 (2).JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe just some reinforcements. FWIW, an enameled steel tub would be my last choice unless maybe if I was flipping the house. They dent fairly easily, and that can crack or chip the paint, and then they rust.

Alecstar

Reaction score
I don't think they are reinforcements. They are spot welded in 3 spots, and the whole thing bends pretty easily.... not to mention the odd shape of the whole piece. I am actually replacing a 3 year old (new home build) acrylic tub because it lost its luster real fast. I like enamel finish because they stay clean and new looking. I realize that its a tradeoff for some durability.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Yikes metal TUB?? You are possibly looking to sell with in a few months

Alecstar

Reaction score
I don't know why some people do not like metal tubs. We bought a two year old home in 1991 that had a steel tub and never had an issue with it. I am getting one for the finish. I have never seen an acrylic tub that did not look dull after a few short years. Unless there is an acrylic tub with an enamel finish, then I am forced to go with a steel one.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think putting piles of mortar under a steel tub, similar to what is done with acrylic, would be good. Steel is not as flexible as the acrylic, but its bottom is a lot more flexible than cast iron.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No need to overthink it. Those are just for the robot to hold the tub during the manufacturing process.

Alecstar

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. You can see why I would want to know before I install it. It would be nice if there was a notation about them in the installation instructions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, I'd set the tub in piles of mortar to help support the bottom and to ensure it sits level.

Chuck The Plumber

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this site. I need some help. I just bought an American Standard Solar enameled steel tub. It arrived today and unfortunately was damaged. I have ordered a new one but in the meantime can anybody tell me what these two pieces of metal (and somewhat flimsy at that) are for??? There is one on each side of the tub on the drain end. Thank you.
I think they are for holding the tub during factory production procedures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks