What types of valves for shower?

Users who are viewing this thread


New Member
Reaction score
Hello! I would love to replace my old Central Brass shower handles in my 1920's shower doing as little damage to the original tile as possible. Currently, the shower and tub spout are controlled by two separate sets of hot/cold handles, each at 11" OC. All replacement trim sets I have been able to find are for standard 8" OC handles with a fixed 8" rough in valve. I have access behind the wall and I intend on installing an in-wall thermostatic mixing valve like this one to bring the shower up to code and prevent scalding. I want to keep the separate hot and cold handles to be period appropriate and not cause more damage to the original tiles.

My question, which I can't seem to get a definite answer about online, is what type of valves/trim should I be looking for to replace the current handles. Would four volume control valves/trim have the same effect as the current handles do?

Thank you!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks