Wet vent code help, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Donny H

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm building a new bathroom in my house on a homeowner's permit. I'm planning to use a wet vent with a lavatory, bath tub, then toilet, in that order from upstream to downstream. So the vent will come up through the ceiling in the wall behind the lavatory. I was planning to use the configuration in the image attached, with 1 1/2" pipe coming from the lavatory, until the tub joins the wet vent, then moving up to 2".

I'm confused because I had a consult with the plumbing inspector and he said I need to come up through the floor with a 2" pipe. That doesn't match anything I can find in the code book. Any ideas?

I don't want to move up to the 2" size, because that would be too large of a hole in the base plate of 2x4 wall that the sink is against and the vent comes through.

Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• 20190126_181311.jpg
    20190126_181311.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 210

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
Simply put, a toilet requires a 2" vent. Your inspector is right, it should be 2" all the way up.

What code book are you referencing?

Donny H

Reaction score
This is out of the 2018 IPC . It shows a lot of 1 1/2" stacks on systems with wet vents and water closets. This is confusing me.

Attachments

• 20190126_215434.jpg
    20190126_215434.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 207

Stuff

Reaction score
You may be technically OK with 1 1/2" between lav and tub with the IPC but, as mentioned, it is all about how the inspector interprets the code. IPC book is that 1 1/2" is fine for the overall common vent as long as final drain is 3" even with a toilet. Wet vent size is "based on the fixture unit discharge to the wet vent" - question for inspector is do you count all fixtures or only the fixtures discharging into that segment. Then the wet vent portion with only a lav discharge is OK for 1 1/2" which you can see in the upper left drawing.

Also - might be local rules that require more than the IPC.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks