Water Hammer Clothes Washer

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by murphysf, Sep 25, 2021.

1. murphysf

murphysf New Member

Hello

I helped a friend moved in and connected up the washer and dryer and ran a load of laundry. A

At the start of the wash cycle, the LG washer lets water in for a few seconds then stops and about 30 seconds or so lets in a little more and stops , spins the drum, etc, it does this a few times. Each time the valve shuts off I could hear a banging on the wall where the hot water pipe runs along the wall just next to the hot water heater.

I see they make these arrestors

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/sicoince-Arrestor-dishwasher-arrestor-Y241-11-11/dp/B08TVK9KL6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=water+hammer+washer&qid=1632582137&sr=8-2&th=1

Are they bi directional? It seems like they get mounted to the back of the washer however for space savings I was thinking of mounting them to the faucet.

Just looking for peoples experience if they are effective if mounted in the other direction the length of the supply hoses away from the water valves.

Thanks

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It doesn't matter how they are mounted, they work either way.
    I always install washer boxes with hammer arrestors now. Ever since they started putting check valves in the water meters.

MACPLUMB likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

MACPLUMB likes this.
  4. murphysf

murphysf New Member

I noticed in the link I posted above there is a copper tube option and a stainless steel tube option.

I believe that this is just for the material of the arrestor housing.

Is one preferred? The stainless is a little cheaper.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    THe material won't make a difference. An arrestor works best when it is as close to the offending valve as possible (and that's in the WM). If the WM is mounted next to the dryer, to get things even, the dryer is often required to stick out from the wall a bit if the exhaust is in the rear, so if so, then there's plenty of room to install that on the washing machine...but easiest to try it on the valve and it will probably be enough.